Ulrich Landvreugd believes Barnet’s match at Luton Town should have been abandoned and says referee Kevin Johnson did not keep his word by playing the entire match in sodden conditions.

Heavy rain before and during the game meant the pitch was waterlogged and the ball held up in puddles and several players lost their footing.

There were goals. Andre Gray and Paul Benson netted for Luton and cancelled out a second half strike from Bees forward Jake Hyde.

Barnet head coach Edgar Davids did not speak to the media after the game, but assistant coach Landvreugd said: “The game shouldn’t have gone ahead.

"The referee said at the beginning of the game ‘even it is in the 80th minute, if the pitch is poor I will cancel the game’.

"But he didn’t keep his word. So that was a little bit disappointing.”

He continued: “I can see from Luton’s point of view because they are winning 2-0 but when the referee stopped it on 60 minutes then he had to cancel the game because you couldn’t play on it.”

Johnson halted the game on the hour mark before speaking to players, managers and his assistants.

He decided to restart the match and Landvreugd claimed the referee said he would see how the conditions were five minutes later.

Landvreugd explained: “He said he would give it five minutes but then that became half an hour. He said after five minutes that he would give it another five minutes and then it got too late to cancel the game.

“I don’t know why it wasn’t stopped. Maybe because it was on television? I don’t know.

“He could have started the game hoping the rain would stop but it kept raining and the ball wasn’t rolling.

“That is the rule. If the ball is no longer rolling or bouncing then you have to stop it.”

The defeat means the Bees have lost their last three matches in the Skrill Premier and Barnet have slipped to ninth in the table.

Reflecting on Barnet’s performance, Landvreugd said: “The first 20 minutes the pitch wasn’t good but the ball was still rolling. But after one minute we were behind and that must not happen.

“I think after a few minutes we came into the game but they have scored a good second goal. They were a little bit cleverer than us with the pitch. They played the ball into the corners and ran onto it."

He added: “We were better in the second half but when we tried to counter through Keanu sometimes the ball was rolling and other times it was stopping.

“So at that point it had nothing to do with football anymore.”