Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting TIMES NEWS to 80360, or email us
Gluten-free cake for national campaign
9:00am Saturday 5th May 2012 in Freetime
Foodies are being urged to eat gluten-free food as part of National Coeliac Awareness Week.
Campaign charity Coeliac UK has challenged the nation to eat gluten-free as part of the event, which runs from May 14 to 20.
"This gives us all the perfect opportunity to take part in a national campaign to raise awareness for a disease that affects one in 100 people in the UK," said a Coeliac UK spokeswoman.
To help you on your way, below is a recipe for baking a gluten-free chocolate cake.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
150 grams Chocolate Chunks, 70% cocoa solids
110 grams Margarine Diced
125 grams Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar (Billington's)
4 Happy Eggs Separated, large
50 grams Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Nielsen Massey)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a round, loose-bottomed 20cm tin.
- Place the plain chocolate and margarine into a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat gently to melt the contents. Stir until the mix has melted then add the golden caster
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl with the egg yolks, flour, baking powder and vanilla extract. In another clean, dry bowl beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg white mix one tablespoon at a time and fold into the cake mix. Gradually mix everything together, pour into a cake tin and bake for 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool for five minutes before turning out and serving with fresh cream and raspberries.
Comments are closed on this article.