Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting TIMES NEWS to 80360, or email us
Family demand answers from Barnet Homes after boiler turned off
A mother and her two young children were left living in freezing temperatures for more than a week after an electrician working for her housing association turned her boiler off.
Anne-Marie Gibbins, of Underhill Court, High Barnet, spent nine days battling with housing association Barnet Homes to fix the problem before Christmas.
An electrician carried out routine checks on the boiler last Monday – but said it looked “corroded and rusty” and could be unsafe to use.
It was finally turned on yesterday night - but the full-time mother is furious her and her two children, Connor, nearly two and Rosie, six months, were left in wintry temperatures for so long.
The 26-year-old said: “It’s been a waiting game. I had a complete breakdown on the phone last week, it’s been very stressful.
“I’ve been wrapped up warm in jumpers but I’m worried about how it will affect the children. Connor might have asthma so this isn’t helping.
“I could barely bath my children. I had to take them to my mum or dad’s houses – but that’s really impractical just before bed.”
A contractor checked the gas meter was working on Monday night – but when another electrician turned up – he said he could not turn the boiler back on without consulting his boss.
Barnet Homes gave Ms Gibbins two heaters, which she has had to hide out of reach of her toddler son.
The mother-of-two was planning on having her family over on Christmas day and has already bought food in preparation, but feared she would have to cancel.
She added: “I’m dreading my heating bill this month as I’ve been using the heaters 12 hours a day.
“It’s been a very stressful and testing time. I didn’t know what else to do. I’m angry and upset.
“This could have wrecked my Christmas.”
A statement from Barnet Homes said: "Following a visit to Ms Gibbins property to undertake an annual gas safety check, some irregularities were discovered with the boiler installed in the property.
"In line with Gas Safe regulations and Barnet Homes Gas Safety Policy the boiler had to be disconnected to allow further investigations to be undertaken.
"Barnet Homes offered Ms Gibbins temporary heaters for the duration that the boiler would be disconnected. Unfortunately these were refused. Barnet Homes Gas Inspectors and MITIE supervisory staff along with gas engineers attended the property again yesterday to attempt to resolve the issue in the quickest time frame possible."
Comments are closed on this article.