These pictures show the charred remains of a flat that was completely gutted by a fire earlier today.
Firefighters were called to Tennyson Road, Mill Hill, to reports of smoke billowing from the window of a first floor flat at 10.48am.
Crews found the property completely ablaze and fought to rescue an 80-year-old man who was trapped inside.
Firefighters found him lying on the floor within minutes of arriving at the scene and brought him to safety.
The elderly man was suffering from severe burns and taken to hospital by air ambulance, where he still remains.
It took four fire engines around 30 minutes to get the fire under control. Most of the flat was damaged.
The exterior of the property was seared by the flames and the heat caused the top floor windows to shatter. Firefighters estimate around 70 per cent of the property was gutted by the flames.
Speaking from the scene, Mark Blomfield, station manager at Hendon Fire Station, told the Times Series: “It was all completely smoke logged, but the firefighters showed straight professionalism.
“They worked hard in what were difficult and tough conditions by carrying him out to open air quickly and safely.
“We’re relieved they got the guy out very quickly.”
Firefighters also rescued a woman from the flat next door. She was treated for burns and shock and taken to hospital.
Whilst investigators are unsure how the fire began, the flat is not believed to have had a working fire alarm installed.
Mr Blomfield added: “We would have had warnings if there had been a proper alarm fitted, and the outcome could have been very different.
“It demonstrates how important smoke alarms are – look into it before it’s too late.”
To find out more about getting a free smoke alarm check, visit www.london-fire.gov.uk/smokealarms.asp