POLL: Should Barnet Mayor Hugh Rayner resign?

Cllr Hugh Rayner

Cllr Hugh Rayner

First published in News
Last updated
Times Series: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

This week, Barnet’s Mayor Hugh Rayner came under fire for the “unfair” way he has treated tenants living in the properties he owns.

Yesterday, Mayor of London Boris Johnson openly admitted Cllr Rayner’s behaviour has been “prima facie illegal” at the London Assembly’s Question Time.

Cllr Rayner, a Hale councillor, owns 15 properties in the Colindale area with his wife, Susan, and four more under his firm’s name – S&H Housing Limited.

So the Times Series is asking its readers: do you think he should carry on as Mayor?

GLA member for Barnet Andrew Dismore has made the following allegations against Cllr Rayner:

• He is not part of the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme, which Barnet Borough Council "urges" all landlords to be a part of

• He drafted 12-month contracts which permit rent increases by any amount during any time of year – and in one case, a mother was slapped with a three per cent hike without warning

• Turning up to a tenant’s house unannounced at 10pm at night, “pressuring” her to sign a new lease without reading it

• Using tenant’s children as translators

• Fellow Conservative Councillor John Hart was asked to pre-sign a lease without the tenant being present – something which is illegal

• Overcharging residents on housing benefit “to the detriment of the public purse”

When quizzed by the Times Series, Cllr Rayner told us:

• He “didn’t think it was necessary” to join the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme but that he would look into it

• He has since removed the clause about raising the rent

• He no longer asks witnesses to pre-sign contracts and only did this to save time

• The tenant could have asked him to “come back at a better time” if it was inconvenient and she wasn't pressured

• Children are only used as translators if their parents agree

• He no longer asks witnesses to pre-sign contracts as he appreciates it’s incorrect practice

• Rent has always been in line with the prevailing local housing allowance rates

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:52pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Any comment from Tory leader Cornelius about this matter? Tories were quick enough to condemn a Labour councillor before the election when she was falsely accused of 'tax dodging': all very quiet now, isn't it?
Any comment from Tory leader Cornelius about this matter? Tories were quick enough to condemn a Labour councillor before the election when she was falsely accused of 'tax dodging': all very quiet now, isn't it? Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 23

8:46pm Thu 12 Jun 14

nlygo says...

any unscientific poll like this one is 100% irrelevant
any unscientific poll like this one is 100% irrelevant nlygo
  • Score: -22

1:25am Fri 13 Jun 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

There is no legal requirement for Landlords to join the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme so this is irrelevant.

Assured Shorthold Tenancies do not need to be witnessed so, whilst it was stupid (if true) for Cllr Hart to have witnessed a document in advance of it being signed, it is not clear that any offence has actually been committed.

As for multiple rent rises during the year, if the lease clearly allows the landlord to put the rent up multiple times, then no offence has been committed – even if most people would consider such a term to be unfair.

And Boris isn’t a Judge, so for him to suggest that something is “prima facie illegal” without knowing the facts is also irrelevant. It is not actually clear whether Cllr Rayner has acted illegally. Unfairly? Perhaps. Dishonourably? Possibly. But the prisons are not big enough to house every dishonourable politician - especially if you include those who claimed tens of thousands in second homes allowances when they only lived a few miles from Westminster.

If Rayner has broken the law, he will have to resign as Mayor. But the bottom line is this. Do not sign a lease (or any legal document) if you do not understand what it is that you are signing. It is no good bleating about it afterwards. If you don’t understand something, get a solicitor or go to Citizens Advice. Don’t try and save yourself a few quid on legal advice and then moan if the landlord did something he was allowed to do.
There is no legal requirement for Landlords to join the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme so this is irrelevant. Assured Shorthold Tenancies do not need to be witnessed so, whilst it was stupid (if true) for Cllr Hart to have witnessed a document in advance of it being signed, it is not clear that any offence has actually been committed. As for multiple rent rises during the year, if the lease clearly allows the landlord to put the rent up multiple times, then no offence has been committed – even if most people would consider such a term to be unfair. And Boris isn’t a Judge, so for him to suggest that something is “prima facie illegal” without knowing the facts is also irrelevant. It is not actually clear whether Cllr Rayner has acted illegally. Unfairly? Perhaps. Dishonourably? Possibly. But the prisons are not big enough to house every dishonourable politician - especially if you include those who claimed tens of thousands in second homes allowances when they only lived a few miles from Westminster. If Rayner has broken the law, he will have to resign as Mayor. But the bottom line is this. Do not sign a lease (or any legal document) if you do not understand what it is that you are signing. It is no good bleating about it afterwards. If you don’t understand something, get a solicitor or go to Citizens Advice. Don’t try and save yourself a few quid on legal advice and then moan if the landlord did something he was allowed to do. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -19

8:43am Fri 13 Jun 14

Mr. Datchery says...

nlygo wrote:
any unscientific poll like this one is 100% irrelevant
We all know that if this poll was about a non -Tory you would be hailing it as a fine example of democracy at work.
[quote][p][bold]nlygo[/bold] wrote: any unscientific poll like this one is 100% irrelevant[/p][/quote]We all know that if this poll was about a non -Tory you would be hailing it as a fine example of democracy at work. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 13

8:46am Fri 13 Jun 14

Mr Reasonable says...

Don't Call Me Dave wrote:
There is no legal requirement for Landlords to join the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme so this is irrelevant.

Assured Shorthold Tenancies do not need to be witnessed so, whilst it was stupid (if true) for Cllr Hart to have witnessed a document in advance of it being signed, it is not clear that any offence has actually been committed.

As for multiple rent rises during the year, if the lease clearly allows the landlord to put the rent up multiple times, then no offence has been committed – even if most people would consider such a term to be unfair.

And Boris isn’t a Judge, so for him to suggest that something is “prima facie illegal” without knowing the facts is also irrelevant. It is not actually clear whether Cllr Rayner has acted illegally. Unfairly? Perhaps. Dishonourably? Possibly. But the prisons are not big enough to house every dishonourable politician - especially if you include those who claimed tens of thousands in second homes allowances when they only lived a few miles from Westminster.

If Rayner has broken the law, he will have to resign as Mayor. But the bottom line is this. Do not sign a lease (or any legal document) if you do not understand what it is that you are signing. It is no good bleating about it afterwards. If you don’t understand something, get a solicitor or go to Citizens Advice. Don’t try and save yourself a few quid on legal advice and then moan if the landlord did something he was allowed to do.
DCMD, the other issue here is that many of the tenants are in receipt of housing benefit so multiple increases actually cost the tax payer more. You say people should read contracts but when it is clear that you are dependent on children to translate from English that seems somewhat unlikely. As you say this may not be illegal but unfair and dishonourable are not qualities you should associate with a senior local politician.
[quote][p][bold]Don't Call Me Dave[/bold] wrote: There is no legal requirement for Landlords to join the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme so this is irrelevant. Assured Shorthold Tenancies do not need to be witnessed so, whilst it was stupid (if true) for Cllr Hart to have witnessed a document in advance of it being signed, it is not clear that any offence has actually been committed. As for multiple rent rises during the year, if the lease clearly allows the landlord to put the rent up multiple times, then no offence has been committed – even if most people would consider such a term to be unfair. And Boris isn’t a Judge, so for him to suggest that something is “prima facie illegal” without knowing the facts is also irrelevant. It is not actually clear whether Cllr Rayner has acted illegally. Unfairly? Perhaps. Dishonourably? Possibly. But the prisons are not big enough to house every dishonourable politician - especially if you include those who claimed tens of thousands in second homes allowances when they only lived a few miles from Westminster. If Rayner has broken the law, he will have to resign as Mayor. But the bottom line is this. Do not sign a lease (or any legal document) if you do not understand what it is that you are signing. It is no good bleating about it afterwards. If you don’t understand something, get a solicitor or go to Citizens Advice. Don’t try and save yourself a few quid on legal advice and then moan if the landlord did something he was allowed to do.[/p][/quote]DCMD, the other issue here is that many of the tenants are in receipt of housing benefit so multiple increases actually cost the tax payer more. You say people should read contracts but when it is clear that you are dependent on children to translate from English that seems somewhat unlikely. As you say this may not be illegal but unfair and dishonourable are not qualities you should associate with a senior local politician. Mr Reasonable
  • Score: 21

4:39pm Fri 13 Jun 14

marccohen53 says...

Mrs Angry, you a pretty quick to condemn Rayner yourself - you don't seem to have any comment on Ed's candidate for Hendon, Dismal, costing the taxpayer even more. You mention Cornelius has gone quiet - if only the same could be applied to you.
Mrs Angry, you a pretty quick to condemn Rayner yourself - you don't seem to have any comment on Ed's candidate for Hendon, Dismal, costing the taxpayer even more. You mention Cornelius has gone quiet - if only the same could be applied to you. marccohen53
  • Score: -10

5:16pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Dear Mr Cohen: what a charmer you are. You want a comment on Dismore: I know him to be a hardworking, reliable man, and that he is widely respected for the way he undertakes his public roles. If it is any comfort to you, my own late parents who were dyed in the wool Tories were hisconstiuents and though very highly of him.

Average Barnet Tory Councillor - I'm not sure why I am now an arch hypocrite, but your remark about Cllr McGuirk is wrong, and defamatory, which is why I am going to report it.
Dear Mr Cohen: what a charmer you are. You want a comment on Dismore: I know him to be a hardworking, reliable man, and that he is widely respected for the way he undertakes his public roles. If it is any comfort to you, my own late parents who were dyed in the wool Tories were hisconstiuents and though very highly of him. Average Barnet Tory Councillor - I'm not sure why I am now an arch hypocrite, but your remark about Cllr McGuirk is wrong, and defamatory, which is why I am going to report it. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 8

5:22pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Mr. Datchery says...

marccohen53 wrote:
Mrs Angry, you a pretty quick to condemn Rayner yourself - you don't seem to have any comment on Ed's candidate for Hendon, Dismal, costing the taxpayer even more. You mention Cornelius has gone quiet - if only the same could be applied to you.
I would not be the least surprised that if/when England are knocked out of the World Cup Marc (Marcia?) Cohen will blame it on Andrew Dismore's expenses issues. Incidentally The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared him of all charges.
[quote][p][bold]marccohen53[/bold] wrote: Mrs Angry, you a pretty quick to condemn Rayner yourself - you don't seem to have any comment on Ed's candidate for Hendon, Dismal, costing the taxpayer even more. You mention Cornelius has gone quiet - if only the same could be applied to you.[/p][/quote]I would not be the least surprised that if/when England are knocked out of the World Cup Marc (Marcia?) Cohen will blame it on Andrew Dismore's expenses issues. Incidentally The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared him of all charges. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 7

6:08pm Fri 13 Jun 14

MarkyG613 says...

Hugh Rayner caused us a great deal of grief when we tried to get planning permission. He stated that building an extension would be DETRIMENTAL TO OUR property. He was our local councillor and we refused to vote for him. His current behaviour is at best corrupt and deceitful. Another scumbag politician me thinks!
Hugh Rayner caused us a great deal of grief when we tried to get planning permission. He stated that building an extension would be DETRIMENTAL TO OUR property. He was our local councillor and we refused to vote for him. His current behaviour is at best corrupt and deceitful. Another scumbag politician me thinks! MarkyG613
  • Score: 16

7:45pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Rog T says...

What very odd people the Tories who comment on this story are. The story is not about Andrew Dismore's expenses. It is about Hugh Rayners behaviour. It is a sign of the desperation of them that they drag out dead stories, smears and insults, with a good degree of poetic license involved.

You all should be ashamed of yourself. For the record I told Andrew Dismore in 2008 that although he was a very good politician, the locals were less than impressed with his attitude to expenses. I told him that as far as I was concerned, it could cost him his seat. He lost by 105. I told Brian Coleman that his behaviour would cost him his many, highly paid non jobs. He chose to ignore the advice and is now at home unemployed.

In the fullness of time, Hugh Rayner is likely to go the same way. I would remind these Tories that the dirt they are throwing at Mr Dismore is linked to things that happened around the time Rayners fellow councillor Tom Davey was posting vile things on Facebook.

The main difference between Dismore and the rest is that he was and still is a great worker for local people. His replacement has been useless. At the GLA he works his socks off and I believe him to be chastened by his experience in 2010. I therefore think he will be an excellent MP when re-elected next year, Until I see some honest comments from our Tory friends here, I will simply treat them with the contempt they deserve
What very odd people the Tories who comment on this story are. The story is not about Andrew Dismore's expenses. It is about Hugh Rayners behaviour. It is a sign of the desperation of them that they drag out dead stories, smears and insults, with a good degree of poetic license involved. You all should be ashamed of yourself. For the record I told Andrew Dismore in 2008 that although he was a very good politician, the locals were less than impressed with his attitude to expenses. I told him that as far as I was concerned, it could cost him his seat. He lost by 105. I told Brian Coleman that his behaviour would cost him his many, highly paid non jobs. He chose to ignore the advice and is now at home unemployed. In the fullness of time, Hugh Rayner is likely to go the same way. I would remind these Tories that the dirt they are throwing at Mr Dismore is linked to things that happened around the time Rayners fellow councillor Tom Davey was posting vile things on Facebook. The main difference between Dismore and the rest is that he was and still is a great worker for local people. His replacement has been useless. At the GLA he works his socks off and I believe him to be chastened by his experience in 2010. I therefore think he will be an excellent MP when re-elected next year, Until I see some honest comments from our Tory friends here, I will simply treat them with the contempt they deserve Rog T
  • Score: 9

7:58pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

If Mrs Angry is going to report AverageBarnetResiden
t, could she also report MarkyG613? Where is the evidence that Hugh Rayner is corrupt? His business practices might be unethical. He may even have broken the law (Housing Act 1988), but corruption is a whole different kettle of fish.

Rog, you are really full of yourself these days. You told Dismore off about his expenses. Well that's all right then. The Oracle has spoken. No need for anyone else to comment.
If Mrs Angry is going to report AverageBarnetResiden t, could she also report MarkyG613? Where is the evidence that Hugh Rayner is corrupt? His business practices might be unethical. He may even have broken the law (Housing Act 1988), but corruption is a whole different kettle of fish. Rog, you are really full of yourself these days. You told Dismore off about his expenses. Well that's all right then. The Oracle has spoken. No need for anyone else to comment. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -10

10:27am Sat 14 Jun 14

Dellertronic says...

Every member of Barnet council should resign. why stop at this one when they are all as bad as each other.
Every member of Barnet council should resign. why stop at this one when they are all as bad as each other. Dellertronic
  • Score: 3

10:54am Sat 14 Jun 14

Rog T says...

David,

I just reread your blog - http://www.notthebar
nettimes.co.uk/2014/
05/told-you-so.html - and I thought I'd share the irony of your comments with the rest of the crew !
David, I just reread your blog - http://www.notthebar nettimes.co.uk/2014/ 05/told-you-so.html - and I thought I'd share the irony of your comments with the rest of the crew ! Rog T
  • Score: 4

5:38pm Sat 14 Jun 14

Mr NoAgenda says...

Have first hand experience Mr rayner's rental properties, the appalling state they are in. His illegal practices with electrical installations. Plus other non conformation. Also using his position as councillor, and use of his tenants names to present his agenda
there is no way I ever imagined he position himself as mayor
we should all be worried!

I have no political allegiances, just personal experience
Have first hand experience Mr rayner's rental properties, the appalling state they are in. His illegal practices with electrical installations. Plus other non conformation. Also using his position as councillor, and use of his tenants names to present his agenda there is no way I ever imagined he position himself as mayor we should all be worried! I have no political allegiances, just personal experience Mr NoAgenda
  • Score: 15

7:46pm Sat 14 Jun 14

marccohen53 says...

Roger T, I am sure there are many other people who would say that Offord is a great worker for local people and an excellent MP. People do not, however, trust politicians with their hand in the till, whichever party they are in and whether its within the rules or not. Dismore has lost the trust of the public and people do not forget - he has funded two houses on the public purse and now wants us to vote for him to have two jobs. Does he actually live in the one in the constituency? He still claims for travel on the GLA, whether within the rules or not. Offord also looks and sounds like a normal person.
Roger T, I am sure there are many other people who would say that Offord is a great worker for local people and an excellent MP. People do not, however, trust politicians with their hand in the till, whichever party they are in and whether its within the rules or not. Dismore has lost the trust of the public and people do not forget - he has funded two houses on the public purse and now wants us to vote for him to have two jobs. Does he actually live in the one in the constituency? He still claims for travel on the GLA, whether within the rules or not. Offord also looks and sounds like a normal person. marccohen53
  • Score: -9

1:28am Sun 15 Jun 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

Mr Datcherty

“The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared Andrew Dismore of all charges”

Do you mean the Committee on Standards in Public Life that is made up solely of MPs, most of whom were found to have had their snouts in the trough at some time in the past?
Mr Datcherty “The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared Andrew Dismore of all charges” Do you mean the Committee on Standards in Public Life that is made up solely of MPs, most of whom were found to have had their snouts in the trough at some time in the past? Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -3

7:50am Sun 15 Jun 14

Mr. Datchery says...

Don't Call Me Dave wrote:
Mr Datcherty

“The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared Andrew Dismore of all charges”

Do you mean the Committee on Standards in Public Life that is made up solely of MPs, most of whom were found to have had their snouts in the trough at some time in the past?
The Committee on Standards in Public Life is currently Chaired by Lord Bew, Irish historian. It's members include Sir Derek Morris, Academic, Dame Denise Platt, former Social Worker and Civil Servant, Dr. Elizabeth Vallance, Academic and JP.
"...made up solely of MPs" - check before you comment.
[quote][p][bold]Don't Call Me Dave[/bold] wrote: Mr Datcherty “The Committee on Standards in Public Life cleared Andrew Dismore of all charges” Do you mean the Committee on Standards in Public Life that is made up solely of MPs, most of whom were found to have had their snouts in the trough at some time in the past?[/p][/quote]The Committee on Standards in Public Life is currently Chaired by Lord Bew, Irish historian. It's members include Sir Derek Morris, Academic, Dame Denise Platt, former Social Worker and Civil Servant, Dr. Elizabeth Vallance, Academic and JP. "...made up solely of MPs" - check before you comment. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 6

11:59am Sun 15 Jun 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

So, not MPs, but members of the establishment instead. Politicos just don’t get it. The public don’t care that something was “within the rules”. The rules were rotten. The public care that the people they elect to office can’t be trusted. Dismore, Rayner and all the rest of them. No sense of shame. No honour.
So, not MPs, but members of the establishment instead. Politicos just don’t get it. The public don’t care that something was “within the rules”. The rules were rotten. The public care that the people they elect to office can’t be trusted. Dismore, Rayner and all the rest of them. No sense of shame. No honour. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -3

1:56pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Rog T says...

Marc Cohen,

I am astounded by your comments. Do you think that being "Normal" is a requirement of being an MP? What exactly is "Normal" are you "Normal". How abnormal do you have to be to not qualify as an MP?

Where are all these people Mr Offord has helped. Tell them to get in touch with me at my blog and they can write guest blogs detailing how marvellous he is. I speak to local Conservatives all the time and this is not the message I am getting.

As to your comments about Dismore claiming for travel at the GLA. If he is incurring costs in the course of doing his job, then it is only correct that these are reimbursed. They are far less than those claimed by his predecessor. I don't recall you complaining about that.
Marc Cohen, I am astounded by your comments. Do you think that being "Normal" is a requirement of being an MP? What exactly is "Normal" are you "Normal". How abnormal do you have to be to not qualify as an MP? Where are all these people Mr Offord has helped. Tell them to get in touch with me at my blog and they can write guest blogs detailing how marvellous he is. I speak to local Conservatives all the time and this is not the message I am getting. As to your comments about Dismore claiming for travel at the GLA. If he is incurring costs in the course of doing his job, then it is only correct that these are reimbursed. They are far less than those claimed by his predecessor. I don't recall you complaining about that. Rog T
  • Score: 5

2:44pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Barnet Parker says...

I wasn't comfortable about the stories of Dismore's expenses at the time but I think they must be remembered in the context of that time. I equally wasn't comfortable with paying for paying for those Tory MPs Duck House and Moat Clearing, and don't get me started on clearing Cameron's wisteria from his chimney. Seems a bit daft singling Dismore out - we've fortunately never had the chance to test out Offord in that climate.

Where I can test Offord out is on his record in dealing with his residents' correspondence/conce
rns in comparison with his predecessors; Dismore & Gorst . On that front I find him woefully inadequate and more keen to fight for his right to take his dog to work. Ludicrous. For that reason I will be voting for the hard working, if flawed, Dismore.

Bottom line is neither Offord or Dismore's behaviour excuses the actions of Messrs. Rayner and Hart as this story emerges.
I wasn't comfortable about the stories of Dismore's expenses at the time but I think they must be remembered in the context of that time. I equally wasn't comfortable with paying for paying for those Tory MPs Duck House and Moat Clearing, and don't get me started on clearing Cameron's wisteria from his chimney. Seems a bit daft singling Dismore out - we've fortunately never had the chance to test out Offord in that climate. Where I can test Offord out is on his record in dealing with his residents' correspondence/conce rns in comparison with his predecessors; Dismore & Gorst . On that front I find him woefully inadequate and more keen to fight for his right to take his dog to work. Ludicrous. For that reason I will be voting for the hard working, if flawed, Dismore. Bottom line is neither Offord or Dismore's behaviour excuses the actions of Messrs. Rayner and Hart as this story emerges. Barnet Parker
  • Score: 11

2:28pm Mon 16 Jun 14

marccohen53 says...

Roger T, your comments never fail to astound - you should be on the stage. I am surprised that as a Labour supporter you bother to speak to local Conservatives all the time.

Dismore claimed for the equivalent of three car journeys to the Commons a day when he was MP as part of doing his job! Maybe he went to his Notting Hill home for lunch - oh perhaps not as he also claimed for food by his own admission. With youth not exactly on his side, how will re-tread Dismore possibly do two demanding jobs and represent both his constituents and GLA commitments properly? Let's watch the correspondence go down the pan then!
Roger T, your comments never fail to astound - you should be on the stage. I am surprised that as a Labour supporter you bother to speak to local Conservatives all the time. Dismore claimed for the equivalent of three car journeys to the Commons a day when he was MP as part of doing his job! Maybe he went to his Notting Hill home for lunch - oh perhaps not as he also claimed for food by his own admission. With youth not exactly on his side, how will re-tread Dismore possibly do two demanding jobs and represent both his constituents and GLA commitments properly? Let's watch the correspondence go down the pan then! marccohen53
  • Score: -8

3:41pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Jon10 says...

marccohen53 wrote:
Roger T, your comments never fail to astound - you should be on the stage. I am surprised that as a Labour supporter you bother to speak to local Conservatives all the time.

Dismore claimed for the equivalent of three car journeys to the Commons a day when he was MP as part of doing his job! Maybe he went to his Notting Hill home for lunch - oh perhaps not as he also claimed for food by his own admission. With youth not exactly on his side, how will re-tread Dismore possibly do two demanding jobs and represent both his constituents and GLA commitments properly? Let's watch the correspondence go down the pan then!
No problem with the "All as bad as each other" argument, but let us acknowledge that corruption has many meanings, not just the "fingers in the till" kind.

I think Mrs Angry (have you noticed she is now "Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog"?) has a good photo of His Worshipful the Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet Councillor Finn, with his Metpro security company convoy. Can't we call that corruption?
[quote][p][bold]marccohen53[/bold] wrote: Roger T, your comments never fail to astound - you should be on the stage. I am surprised that as a Labour supporter you bother to speak to local Conservatives all the time. Dismore claimed for the equivalent of three car journeys to the Commons a day when he was MP as part of doing his job! Maybe he went to his Notting Hill home for lunch - oh perhaps not as he also claimed for food by his own admission. With youth not exactly on his side, how will re-tread Dismore possibly do two demanding jobs and represent both his constituents and GLA commitments properly? Let's watch the correspondence go down the pan then![/p][/quote]No problem with the "All as bad as each other" argument, but let us acknowledge that corruption has many meanings, not just the "fingers in the till" kind. I think Mrs Angry (have you noticed she is now "Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog"?) has a good photo of His Worshipful the Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet Councillor Finn, with his Metpro security company convoy. Can't we call that corruption? Jon10
  • Score: 1

7:40pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Rog T says...

Marc Cohen,

You really are a rather silly person, aren't you? I live in Mill Hill and run a successful business here. Are you surprised that I talk to people? Really? I'm also on several committees etc which have Conservative Councillors as members and see many at various social occasions across the Borough. I would consider it rather silly, immature and bad mannered to behave as you suggest to ignore people simply because they may have a different outlook on life to me. Do you not talk to people who you suspect vote Labour. I'd suggest that if that is the case, you are really acting in a rather sad manner. I'd suggest getting a life.

You state that I'm a Labour supporter. This is actually incorrect. I am not a member of any political party. I happen to think none of them are perfect.

As to your ever more desperate attempts to portray Andrew Dismore in a poor light. I'd suggest that you would do far better to try and find some achievements of the people you actually support to tell us about. It is rather sad that after 3 years in office the only reason to vote for Matthew Offord that you can realisitically find is that Andrew Dismore did a lot of driving whilst dealing with the casework of his job.
Marc Cohen, You really are a rather silly person, aren't you? I live in Mill Hill and run a successful business here. Are you surprised that I talk to people? Really? I'm also on several committees etc which have Conservative Councillors as members and see many at various social occasions across the Borough. I would consider it rather silly, immature and bad mannered to behave as you suggest to ignore people simply because they may have a different outlook on life to me. Do you not talk to people who you suspect vote Labour. I'd suggest that if that is the case, you are really acting in a rather sad manner. I'd suggest getting a life. You state that I'm a Labour supporter. This is actually incorrect. I am not a member of any political party. I happen to think none of them are perfect. As to your ever more desperate attempts to portray Andrew Dismore in a poor light. I'd suggest that you would do far better to try and find some achievements of the people you actually support to tell us about. It is rather sad that after 3 years in office the only reason to vote for Matthew Offord that you can realisitically find is that Andrew Dismore did a lot of driving whilst dealing with the casework of his job. Rog T
  • Score: 7

8:19pm Mon 16 Jun 14

rony says...

Fortunately i'm not living in dismore/offord consistency, so I don't have to choose between a useless fool and a warmonger.
Fortunately i'm not living in dismore/offord consistency, so I don't have to choose between a useless fool and a warmonger. rony
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Mon 16 Jun 14

marccohen53 says...

It's interesting that if you just present the pure facts about Andrew Dismore that are already in the public domain that you are accused of being silly, desperate and various other things - I am just stating the facts about Dismore. It's even more interesting to see that Labour Party supporters are so touchy - they must be so worried about the next election for good reason.

So Roger T, let me get this right .... you are not a Labour supporter even though you clearly support Dismore every time someone posts anything negative about him and you do not support Offord as you are so damning of him whenever his name is mentioned. Quite hard to believe you are "not a member of any political party" and yet you seem to have such strong views on key members of both political parties. I think you are the one looking rather "silly"!
It's interesting that if you just present the pure facts about Andrew Dismore that are already in the public domain that you are accused of being silly, desperate and various other things - I am just stating the facts about Dismore. It's even more interesting to see that Labour Party supporters are so touchy - they must be so worried about the next election for good reason. So Roger T, let me get this right .... you are not a Labour supporter even though you clearly support Dismore every time someone posts anything negative about him and you do not support Offord as you are so damning of him whenever his name is mentioned. Quite hard to believe you are "not a member of any political party" and yet you seem to have such strong views on key members of both political parties. I think you are the one looking rather "silly"! marccohen53
  • Score: -6

12:01am Tue 17 Jun 14

Rog T says...

Marc Cohen,

This is all getting a bit embarrassing. I am not a Labour party member. I have publicly criticised Mr Dismore on my blog when he's done things which I disagree with. I've also been outspoken on my in criticising Alison Moore, the leader of the Barnet Labour Party at the Town Hall. That is a matter of public record and only a moron would comment in the local press to say otherwise. I stood in 2010 local elections for the Lib Dems, although I left the party in 2011 in disgust at the U turn on tuition fees.

I suggested that you, as an Offord supporter, should give some positive evidence that he'd do a better job than Andrew Dismore. So far you've not given a single example.

As for you being silly, that comment, if you read it properly, referred to your comment that I shouldn't talk to Conservatives. I am quite happy for you to say what you like about Andrew Dismore, that is your opinion. To suggest that I shouldn't talk to Tories is just stupid. The fact that you clearly didn't even understand the point I was making confirms my suspicions.
Marc Cohen, This is all getting a bit embarrassing. I am not a Labour party member. I have publicly criticised Mr Dismore on my blog when he's done things which I disagree with. I've also been outspoken on my in criticising Alison Moore, the leader of the Barnet Labour Party at the Town Hall. That is a matter of public record and only a moron would comment in the local press to say otherwise. I stood in 2010 local elections for the Lib Dems, although I left the party in 2011 in disgust at the U turn on tuition fees. I suggested that you, as an Offord supporter, should give some positive evidence that he'd do a better job than Andrew Dismore. So far you've not given a single example. As for you being silly, that comment, if you read it properly, referred to your comment that I shouldn't talk to Conservatives. I am quite happy for you to say what you like about Andrew Dismore, that is your opinion. To suggest that I shouldn't talk to Tories is just stupid. The fact that you clearly didn't even understand the point I was making confirms my suspicions. Rog T
  • Score: 8

12:10pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Barnet Parker says...

As an avid reader of the Barnet Eye I can recall Rog T has had positive things to say with regard to Offord supporting local musicians and organising a forum for Mill Hill residents amongst others. I also believe Rog has been supportive of Offord's aims to have a cheese shop in Mill Hill so he does have good words to say about our MP.

Unfortunately for me I only have one good word for Offord and you would need to be familiar with the works of John Cooper Clark to know it.
As an avid reader of the Barnet Eye I can recall Rog T has had positive things to say with regard to Offord supporting local musicians and organising a forum for Mill Hill residents amongst others. I also believe Rog has been supportive of Offord's aims to have a cheese shop in Mill Hill so he does have good words to say about our MP. Unfortunately for me I only have one good word for Offord and you would need to be familiar with the works of John Cooper Clark to know it. Barnet Parker
  • Score: 5

6:36pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Mrs Nasty says...

Putting the Dismore/Hendon Times hysteria aside - Mr Reasonable rationally states - the basic responsibility of a prospective tenant is to read their Lease agreement and understand it. We are not told the circumstances in which the tenant's rent might be
increased - a Landlord IS entitled to keep rent inline with market value. This is normally adjusted at the time of renewal. Its extremely frustrating when a Landlord is forced to visit a Tenant at 10pm - done obviously because Landlord cannot get a response at any other time. Does anyone actually think a Landlord might do this for fun?? I take my hat off to Cllr Rayner, as a Landlord I refuse to rent to Social Housing tenants because of the payment of rent issues. If everyone took my view there would a huge shortage of social housing in the borough. Landlords like Cllr Rayner should be applauded for providing an incredible service to, often arrogant and exploitative tenants.
This latest acid attack by squeaky clean Mr Dismore fails to acknowledge Landlords do not provide housing as a Charity for persons on social housing - if tenants cant afford the market rent, they need take responsibility and move to a lower rent property not simply refuse to pay the rent forcing a Landlord to lose income for 6 months and legal fees - if an eviction becomes necessary. . Cllr Rayner Is a Landlord, and generally works for the community devoting time and energy for relatively low remuneration and because of this he is being lambasted by the left.
Indeed he may have chaired the Business Management overview and scrutiny Committee in the past, but will have been voted into position by other Councillors who will have presumably known he was a Landlord. If he didn't declare he was a Landlord at that time - an easy oversight - has any crime resulted? No tenant suffered because he sat on the Committee, which apparently stated ....Barnet house more social housing tenants in private rented sector than in LA owned property - entirely correct! please keep up Hendon Times...... this is now true of the entire the UK
Putting the Dismore/Hendon Times hysteria aside - Mr Reasonable rationally states - the basic responsibility of a prospective tenant is to read their Lease agreement and understand it. We are not told the circumstances in which the tenant's rent might be increased - a Landlord IS entitled to keep rent inline with market value. This is normally adjusted at the time of renewal. Its extremely frustrating when a Landlord is forced to visit a Tenant at 10pm - done obviously because Landlord cannot get a response at any other time. Does anyone actually think a Landlord might do this for fun?? I take my hat off to Cllr Rayner, as a Landlord I refuse to rent to Social Housing tenants because of the payment of rent issues. If everyone took my view there would a huge shortage of social housing in the borough. Landlords like Cllr Rayner should be applauded for providing an incredible service to, often arrogant and exploitative tenants. This latest acid attack by squeaky clean Mr Dismore fails to acknowledge Landlords do not provide housing as a Charity for persons on social housing - if tenants cant afford the market rent, they need take responsibility and move to a lower rent property not simply refuse to pay the rent forcing a Landlord to lose income for 6 months and legal fees - if an eviction becomes necessary. . Cllr Rayner Is a Landlord, and generally works for the community devoting time and energy for relatively low remuneration and because of this he is being lambasted by the left. Indeed he may have chaired the Business Management overview and scrutiny Committee in the past, but will have been voted into position by other Councillors who will have presumably known he was a Landlord. If he didn't declare he was a Landlord at that time - an easy oversight - has any crime resulted? No tenant suffered because he sat on the Committee, which apparently stated ....Barnet house more social housing tenants in private rented sector than in LA owned property - entirely correct! please keep up Hendon Times...... this is now true of the entire the UK Mrs Nasty
  • Score: -7

9:38pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Rog T says...

Mrs Nasty,

Are you Bwisn in disguise? Or our friend Big Dan?

Never have so many words, been said with so little sense contained
Mrs Nasty, Are you Bwisn in disguise? Or our friend Big Dan? Never have so many words, been said with so little sense contained Rog T
  • Score: 9

4:37pm Wed 18 Jun 14

marccohen53 says...

That's rich coming from you Roger T! You write so many words on a daily basis which are absolute nonsense. So what you are telling us is that you failed to get elected in 2010 - now we know where the bitterness comes from.
That's rich coming from you Roger T! You write so many words on a daily basis which are absolute nonsense. So what you are telling us is that you failed to get elected in 2010 - now we know where the bitterness comes from. marccohen53
  • Score: -5

10:23am Thu 19 Jun 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

How's the reporting going Mrs Angry? The rozzers haven't kicked my door down yet... Strange that.
Maybe it's because you have no concept of what constitutes defamation and you just bandy it around whenever anyone disagrees with you...
McGuirk stole from taxpayers by not paying her council tax. In my book, that is a lot worse than visiting tenants at 10pm.

MarcCohen - at least Roger T gave it a try. Most of these "bloggers" are too frightened of defeat to actually stand for council themselves. They'd rather hide behind their computer screens and criticise people like Rayner.
How's the reporting going Mrs Angry? The rozzers haven't kicked my door down yet... Strange that. Maybe it's because you have no concept of what constitutes defamation and you just bandy it around whenever anyone disagrees with you... McGuirk stole from taxpayers by not paying her council tax. In my book, that is a lot worse than visiting tenants at 10pm. MarcCohen - at least Roger T gave it a try. Most of these "bloggers" are too frightened of defeat to actually stand for council themselves. They'd rather hide behind their computer screens and criticise people like Rayner. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -4

4:54pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Barnet Parker says...

I think you may have misunderstood who Mrs Angry was going to report you to Average.The rozzers may not have kicked your door in but I think you'll find if you scroll up that The Times has deleted your previous defamatory words.
I think you may have misunderstood who Mrs Angry was going to report you to Average.The rozzers may not have kicked your door in but I think you'll find if you scroll up that The Times has deleted your previous defamatory words. Barnet Parker
  • Score: 3

6:19pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Rog T says...

Marc Cohen

You are welcome to write a guest blog on the Barnet Eye as you are clearly a much clever soul than I. Or you could even write your own blog and see how many hits you get?

As to being bitter, standing as a candidate was a great experience. Met lots of lovely people and I'm just sorry that I couldn't do something for them, but hey that's democracy. You should try it sometime
Marc Cohen You are welcome to write a guest blog on the Barnet Eye as you are clearly a much clever soul than I. Or you could even write your own blog and see how many hits you get? As to being bitter, standing as a candidate was a great experience. Met lots of lovely people and I'm just sorry that I couldn't do something for them, but hey that's democracy. You should try it sometime Rog T
  • Score: 1

6:41pm Thu 19 Jun 14

James NW7 says...

AverageBarnetResiden
t
wrote:
How's the reporting going Mrs Angry? The rozzers haven't kicked my door down yet... Strange that.
Maybe it's because you have no concept of what constitutes defamation and you just bandy it around whenever anyone disagrees with you...
McGuirk stole from taxpayers by not paying her council tax. In my book, that is a lot worse than visiting tenants at 10pm.

MarcCohen - at least Roger T gave it a try. Most of these "bloggers" are too frightened of defeat to actually stand for council themselves. They'd rather hide behind their computer screens and criticise people like Rayner.
I would seek legal advice if I were you AverageBarnetResiden
t. There are libel laws in this country.
[quote][p][bold]AverageBarnetResiden t[/bold] wrote: How's the reporting going Mrs Angry? The rozzers haven't kicked my door down yet... Strange that. Maybe it's because you have no concept of what constitutes defamation and you just bandy it around whenever anyone disagrees with you... McGuirk stole from taxpayers by not paying her council tax. In my book, that is a lot worse than visiting tenants at 10pm. MarcCohen - at least Roger T gave it a try. Most of these "bloggers" are too frightened of defeat to actually stand for council themselves. They'd rather hide behind their computer screens and criticise people like Rayner.[/p][/quote]I would seek legal advice if I were you AverageBarnetResiden t. There are libel laws in this country. James NW7
  • Score: 2

10:11pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Hendon101 says...

Judging from this years armed forces day parade in hendon, I think he is hardly off to a great start..
Judging from this years armed forces day parade in hendon, I think he is hardly off to a great start.. Hendon101
  • Score: 1

11:25pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Cadwallader says...

What an interesting thread. I particularly enjoyed the chap who thinks Rayner is 'unethical' and has 'broken the law', but seems to think that because neither of these conditions (in his estimation) constitute corruption, that Rayner is still fit for the office of Mayor.

A glimpse into the Tory mindset there.
What an interesting thread. I particularly enjoyed the chap who thinks Rayner is 'unethical' and has 'broken the law', but seems to think that because neither of these conditions (in his estimation) constitute corruption, that Rayner is still fit for the office of Mayor. A glimpse into the Tory mindset there. Cadwallader
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree