CAMPAIGNERS have launched a crowdfunding appeal to raise cash to challenge library cuts in Barnet.
More than £2,000 has so far been raised by the Save Barnet Libraries group in just one day.
A second public consultation into the future of the borough’s libraries is currently underway.
The proposals by Barnet Council will see libraries kept open, but scaled back in size, with four run by volunteers and 46 per cent of staff axed.
Opening hours will be increased through the use of technology and unstaffed hours, but staffed hours will be cut.
On the appeal site, launched today (November 30), the campaigners said it aimed to challenge the proposals by judicial review.
They said: “We seek to challenge the unfair way the council has proposed wholesale removal of staff from Barnet libraries, a step which, if taken, will unlawfully discriminate against the young, disabled, and other legally protected groups who will no longer have proper access to their local libraries.”
Councillor Reuben Thompstone, Conservative chairman of the children, education, libraries and safeguarding committee, previously said: “These are extremely important proposals which would see us maintain the same number of libraries as well as keep the home, mobile and digital services and increase access to libraries using new technology to extend opening hours.
“I believe these proposals reflect just how much people clearly value our libraries while balancing the need for the council to make savings across its services.”