Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting TIMES NEWS to 80360, or email us
Barnet councillor: Teenager electrocuted in kebab shop could have escaped death
A teenager who was electrocuted in a kebab shop could have escaped death if health and safety checks were carried out, according to a Barnet councillor.
Wais Tanha, 18, was killed while cleaning a dough-making machine at his uncle’s takeaway shop, Pronto Grill in Hendon Way, Hendon, in September 2010.
Cllr David Longstaff says officers quickly identified a poorly fitted standard three pin plug as the cause of the incident.
He said: “The cord grip in the plug was not securely holding the wires in place, resulting in the earth wire being pulled out of the earth pin and touching the live pin within the plug. This caused the whole metal casing of the dough mixer to become ‘live’ on the day Mr Tanha died.
“The cost of fixing this fault would have been less than a pound and taken just minutes to repair.
"It is such a tragic waste of a life that could so easily have been prevented.”
Owner of the takeaway shop Nisar Ahmad, 39, of Pembroke Place, Edgware, admitted two counts of health and safety breaches at the Old Bailey on Friday, October 12.
He was given an 11-month prison sentence suspended for two years and ordered to do 220 hours of unpaid work and to pay £3,000 for prosecution costs.
A charge of manslaughter was ordered to remain on file.