Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting TIMES NEWS to 80360, or email us
1:49pm Wednesday 31st December 2008 in News
- Stars of sport and screen stepped up to the crease to raise money for charity in a celebrity cricket match.
- Three hundred spectators turned out to watch the teams compete and raise £10,000 for Aspire, the charity that helps people suffering from spinal injuries.
- A mother from Hendon believed her son was driven to suicide after he was falsely accused of a crime and his genetic details were released on a DNA database. Robert Chong, 41, was found hanging in a park in Kenton and his mother Josephine claimed her “sensitive” son could not cope with the thought that a record of his DNA would be kept for life.
- Hundreds of operations were cancelled and dozens more delayed at Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals as a result of a faulty computer system.
- Explosive experts defused a Second World War bomb after it was unearthed by builders. Homes in Northway Corner, Mill Hill, were evacuated after military engineers were called in to make the device safe.