A DOG owner could face jail for beating a five-month-old pup to death before dumping its body in a bin.

Andrew Ajimoko, 29, was already on a conditional discharge for possession of class C drugs when the violent attack on his pet happened.

Hendon Magistrates Court heard today that on January 3, police were called to Ajimoko's address at the time in Glebe Crescent, Hendon, after a neighbour reported seeing him throw the dog into the bin.

Officers arrived and saw a man, later identified as Ajimoko, running from the scene, before discovering the pup, named Eve, lying on top of a pile of waste.

Prosecutor David Smith told the court Ajimoko, now of Neasden, had admitted in an interview to reacting violently after the dog pooed in his flat.

The young animal was taken to an RSPCA forensic vet while detectives inspected Ajimoko's property.

Mr Smith said blood stains were found on the floor of the property and also on a bag that contained house bricks.

A post mortem on Eve uncovered the “substantial nature of the injuries” and the vet who examined the pup “was struck by her ghastly swollen face”.

It is believed Ajimoko first grabbed Eve by the paw, then slapped her before beating her with a mop handle.

A forensic report showed there was blood in the dog's mouth and a massive haemorrhage in the skull.

Mr Smith said the vet concluded the injuries were “non accidental” and highlighted “the massive bruising on the neck area consistent with the dog being grabbed forcefully”.

Reading from the veterinary report, Mr Smith added: “The injuries were consistent with being beaten with a blunt object.

“The dog would have suffered substantially as a result of the injuries.”

Following the attack, the dog escaped and Ajimoko went for a walk at about 5am. Both he and his pet returned to the flat where she died later.

Mr Smith said: “He didn't know what to do so he just deposited the dog's carcass in the bin.”

The court heard extracts from the interviews that followed, in which Ajimoko said: “I didn't mean to do this, I was trying to protect myself. I didn't hit her to kill her.”

He spoke today in court only to confirm his name and address and to plead guilty to the offence. Throughout the case, Ajimoko, wearing a light brown jacket and jeans, sat with his head bowed as the evidence was read out.

Ajimoko's defence solicitor admitted the evidence did make “unpleasant hearing” and recognised the incident does carry the possibility of imprisonment.

Chairman of the bench, Magistrate Gloria Silver, imposed a conditional bail which ensures no dog can be in the care, custody or control of Ajimoko, and added: “We think this is so serious you may be going into custody for this.”

Ajimoko will return for sentencing at Hendon Magistrates Court on September 17 at 2pm.