Cllr Brian Coleman says an 'anti-semitic' campaign is being run against Veolia over the Pinkham Way waste site

Councillor Brian Coleman

Councillor Brian Coleman

First published in News by

A LEADING Tory councillor last night accused some residents of leading an anti-Semitic campaign against a group tendering for a huge waste contract at a controversial site.

Councillor Brian Coleman said some protesters had been running an “anti-Zionist” campaign against Veolia over their bidding for contracts for the Pinkham Way site on the fringes of Barnet, Haringey and Enfield.

The cabinet member for the environment was responding to a question from a fellow Tory member which asked if he condemned an “anti-Israel campaign” being run against the firm.

Cllr Coleman said: “There has been a nasty, unpleasant, organised campaign against Veolia and their possible participation in the NLWA procurement process “I believe this has been motivated by anti-Zionist sentiments by some residents of the borough which in my book amounts to anti-Semitism.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:45am Wed 13 Apr 11

GRG says...

Oh please Mr. Coleman, surely anti-zionism is NOT the same thing as anti-Semitism.
Oh please Mr. Coleman, surely anti-zionism is NOT the same thing as anti-Semitism. GRG
  • Score: 0

7:08pm Wed 13 Apr 11

godwin39 says...

We can safely confine anything that Brian says to the trash bin. He is a perfect example of "rent a quote".
Was'nt he the one who boasted that the electorate would be overjoyed if he and his cronies took massive pay rises on their election to office. Did he also not humiliate and ridicule the Public in the gallery when the Budget vote was passed?
Did he also not spend tens of thousands of pounds of Rate Payers money on taxi fares etc.?
We can safely confine anything that Brian says to the trash bin. He is a perfect example of "rent a quote". Was'nt he the one who boasted that the electorate would be overjoyed if he and his cronies took massive pay rises on their election to office. Did he also not humiliate and ridicule the Public in the gallery when the Budget vote was passed? Did he also not spend tens of thousands of pounds of Rate Payers money on taxi fares etc.? godwin39
  • Score: 0

6:06pm Thu 14 Apr 11

HarryF says...

Apologies re lack of focus on Veolia issue, but bravo, Mr Coleman. For too long the fallacy has been promoted by haters, who wish to deny the Jewish people self-determination in their own land, that they are somehow not being racist by being anti-Zionist. Well, the truth is that singling Jews out as not being worthy of having their own nation, in what has clearly been their homeland for thousands of years, is certainly racism (sometimes rather clumsily known as anti-semitism).
Apologies re lack of focus on Veolia issue, but bravo, Mr Coleman. For too long the fallacy has been promoted by haters, who wish to deny the Jewish people self-determination in their own land, that they are somehow not being racist by being anti-Zionist. Well, the truth is that singling Jews out as not being worthy of having their own nation, in what has clearly been their homeland for thousands of years, is certainly racism (sometimes rather clumsily known as anti-semitism). HarryF
  • Score: 0

11:10am Tue 19 Apr 11

Mohamed-Zain Dada says...

@HarryF
"When Arthur Balfour (sponsor of the 1905 Aliens Act to restrict Jewish immigration to the UK), wanted the government to commit itself to a Jewish homeland in Palestine, his declaration was delayed - not by anti-semites but by leading figures in the British Jewish community. They included a Jewish member of the cabinet who called Balfour's pro-Zionism anti-semitic in result".

I'm curious Harry, you seem to forget the self determination of the Palestinian people, the Nakba of 1948 and ethnic cleansing of an entire peoples.

An Anti-Zionist view is most certainly NOT an anti-Semitic view.


http://www.guardian.
co.uk/world/2003/dec
/03/comment
@HarryF "When Arthur Balfour (sponsor of the 1905 Aliens Act to restrict Jewish immigration to the UK), wanted the government to commit itself to a Jewish homeland in Palestine, his declaration was delayed - not by anti-semites but by leading figures in the British Jewish community. They included a Jewish member of the cabinet who called Balfour's pro-Zionism anti-semitic in result". I'm curious Harry, you seem to forget the self determination of the Palestinian people, the Nakba of 1948 and ethnic cleansing of an entire peoples. An Anti-Zionist view is most certainly NOT an anti-Semitic view. http://www.guardian. co.uk/world/2003/dec /03/comment Mohamed-Zain Dada
  • Score: 0

10:30am Wed 20 Apr 11

Adamant says...

Just because some people are claiming that this company is operating in disputed land makes it Anti-Semitic? I think this Anti-Antisemitism card is very overplayed sometimes? Maybe Coleman is just seeking brownie points from the Jewish community?
Just because some people are claiming that this company is operating in disputed land makes it Anti-Semitic? I think this Anti-Antisemitism card is very overplayed sometimes? Maybe Coleman is just seeking brownie points from the Jewish community? Adamant
  • Score: 0

8:22pm Fri 22 Apr 11

LABATIE says...

This man plainly has a personality disorder. After the demonstration on 12th April, I wrote to the Mayor. I pointed out a) that I had not the remotest clue what Coleman was talking about in his weird outburst and b) that I had sung for a rewarding 12 years at Hendon Reform Synagogue and would be happy to discuss his accusation of anti-Zionism with Coleman and that the mayor shd feel free to pass on my e-mail.

So far I have heard nothing and do not expect to do so. Discussion does seem an ingredient of this dangerous clown's version of democracy.
This man plainly has a personality disorder. After the demonstration on 12th April, I wrote to the Mayor. I pointed out a) that I had not the remotest clue what Coleman was talking about in his weird outburst and b) that I had sung for a rewarding 12 years at Hendon Reform Synagogue and would be happy to discuss his accusation of anti-Zionism with Coleman and that the mayor shd feel free to pass on my e-mail. So far I have heard nothing and do not expect to do so. Discussion does seem an ingredient of this dangerous clown's version of democracy. LABATIE
  • Score: 0

8:30pm Fri 22 Apr 11

LABATIE says...

Apologies

The last para should have read as follows:
Discussion does NOT seem an ingredient of this dangerous clown's version of democracy
Apologies The last para should have read as follows: Discussion does NOT seem an ingredient of this dangerous clown's version of democracy LABATIE
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Tue 28 Feb 12

Bonnie Prince Charlie says...

When discussing what happened in 1947/8, people seem to forget that the area under the British Mandate (previously part of the Ottoman Empire) was divided into two. 80% of this region was handed over to the 'Palestinians' who did not exist as a cohesive people with a government and all the trappings associated with a sovereign country. The other 20% was given as a homeland to the Jews who had prepared for this eventuality and had a putative government etc in place. The new state of Israel was surrounded on 3 sides by this new Palestinian state. However the Arab countries which bordered the new Palestinian state found this unacceptable and decided to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. In order to attack Israel they had to cross this new Palestinian state since none of these countries had a border with Israel. And when they were beaten back, each of these countries - Egypt, Lebanon, Syria and Transjordan - simply annexed the land awarded to the Palestinians and kept it: and the new Palestinian state vanished at birth. They are the ones to blame for the Naquba. They are the people who stole the land from the Palestinians.
When discussing what happened in 1947/8, people seem to forget that the area under the British Mandate (previously part of the Ottoman Empire) was divided into two. 80% of this region was handed over to the 'Palestinians' who did not exist as a cohesive people with a government and all the trappings associated with a sovereign country. The other 20% was given as a homeland to the Jews who had prepared for this eventuality and had a putative government etc in place. The new state of Israel was surrounded on 3 sides by this new Palestinian state. However the Arab countries which bordered the new Palestinian state found this unacceptable and decided to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. In order to attack Israel they had to cross this new Palestinian state since none of these countries had a border with Israel. And when they were beaten back, each of these countries - Egypt, Lebanon, Syria and Transjordan - simply annexed the land awarded to the Palestinians and kept it: and the new Palestinian state vanished at birth. They are the ones to blame for the Naquba. They are the people who stole the land from the Palestinians. Bonnie Prince Charlie
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree