An injury time goal from Scott Shulton helped Wingate & Finchley secure a 2-2 draw at home to Hastings United.

The visitors had early shots from distance, one from Okojie which was comfortably held by Bobby Smith, and a deflected Zac Attwood free kick that Smith also easily held.

Wingate showed a better cutting edge than in recent weeks, and Jack Hutchinson fed a pass through to Anthony Thomas but he shot wide across the face of goal.

The Hastings goalkeeper was forced to produce three great saves to keep the scores level.

David Laird was sent off for Wingate after receiving a second yellow card shortly before the interval, but the hosts took the lead only four minutes after the restart.

Substitute Daniel Brown, on for Leon Smith at half time, showed great ambition as he collected a loose ball and rifled a shot home from 20 yards.

A pivotal moment followed before the hour mark as Hastings' Carey, already on a yellow card, was not dismissed by the referee after cynically fouling Shulton on the edge of the area.

This was to prove crucial as the visitors were able to exert pressure as the game wore on.

The equaliser came in the 76th minute through Danny Ellis as he cut inside from the left and curled the ball into the far top corner.

It was not obvious that Wingate were one man down as they still looked positive, and Jack Hutchinson danced through the Hastings defence but his shot was deflected wide.

At the other end Dixon hit a well-struck shot which was superbly tipped around the post by Smith at full stretch.

Bailo Camara thought he had won the game for Hastings with five minutes remaining as he scored with a free header inside the box.

There was late drama to follow however. Hastings' Josh Jirbandey was dismissed after what seemed to most people to be a well-timed challenge outside the box.

The free kick was partially cleared and resulted in a corner for the hosts in injury time, which Shulton swung into the box and saw the ball fly into the far corner of the net.