Hendon brush aside Cray Wanderers

Hendon bounced back from defeat at Dulwich Hamlet with an emphatic 6-0 victory at bottom club Cray Wanderers on Tuesday night.

Gary McCann made three changes to the starting line-up with debutant keeper Ross Fitzsimons, on loan from Crystal Palace for a month, replacing Tomer Sherman between the sticks, while Anthony Thomas and James Fisher came in for Dean Cracknell and Sam Flegg, the latter dropping to the bench.

The Greens gained the upper hand early on, as they took the lead in the third minute.

A free-kick was swung into the box and Chris Seeby turned the ball into the net for his first league goal for the club.

Ten minutes later, a corner from Tony Taggart was delivered to the far side of the six-yard box where James Fisher rose unmarked to head home for his first goal for the club in his 87th appearance.

Just three minutes later, Hendon were three goals to the good when Jefferson Louis bundled home a dangerous cross from Michael Bryan from close range.

The fourth goal came just before half-time when Louis received the ball out wide and he delivered a delicious cross which found the unmarked Thomas, who slammed the ball into the back of the net with delight.

Cray started the second half brightly and had a couple of chances early in the period but they were unable to test Fitzsimons.

Hendon’s fifth came in the 55th minute when Louis headed home a cross from Thomas to score his 20th league goal of the campaign and the final goal came with 25 minutes to go when Flegg rose to head the ball home.

The last goal was Hendon’s 50th of the season after 21 games. Last season saw the Greens score just 48 in the whole league campaign.

It was also an important win after McCann’s men were beaten 2-0 by Dulwich on Saturday.

The Greens are 11th as they go into a nine-day break before the Christmas and New Year fixtures begin at Wingate & Finchley on Boxing Day.

Wingate’s disappointing season continued as they lost 3-0 to Met Police in the Ryman Premier Division.

It took the visitors only three minutes to take the lead as a defence-splitting pass saw Elliot Taylor go through on goal and the full-back kept his cool as he slotted home.

Police were dominating proceedings and their pressure paid off again as they doubled their lead.

Charlie Collins crossed and Steve Sutherland rose the highest to send a powerful header home.

It took the hosts half-an-hour to create their first chance of the match but Paul Wright drilled an effort narrowly wide of the post.

The second half started more promisingly for Wingate as Hector Morante fired wide from six yards.

The pressure didn’t last long though, as on the counter attack, Bradley Hudson-Odol applied a calm finish to round off his side’s victory.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree