Wingate & Finchley drew 0-0 against Margate on Tuesday night, a result which leaves them just six points ahead of the relegation zone.

Without a win in their last five outings, Wingate have slipped to 19th - two places above fourth-bottom East Thurrock United, who have two games in hand.

In an even first period, Margate saw chances from Jefferson Louis and Matt Bodkin go awry, neither testing 'keeper Bobby Smith.

Margate's Jack Sammoutis nearly scored a bizarre goal after the restart, but saw his volleyed clearance drop just wide of his own goal.

Leon Fisher had the best chance of the game in the closing minutes, shooting into the side netting after being released by Josh Kennet.

Speaking afterwards, head coach Daniel Nielsen praised his side's response to Saturday's defeat: "I am pleased with the reaction of the squad after a difficult week. They worked their socks off for 90 minutes and earned that point.

"On the balance of play a draw was probably a fair result although we had possibly the best two chances of the game. Margate are a very good side and I expect to see them challenging at the top of the league next season.

"The squad will need to carry that positive performance into Saturday's game at Dulwich and work just as hard as they did tonight."

The Blues were beaten 3-0 by Hornchurch on Saturday, left to rue a refereeing decision which changed the course of the game.

Hornchurch took the lead after 18 minutes, George Purcell bending a 30-yard free-kick around the wall and inside the left hand post of Smith's goal.

Debutant Craig Davies thought he'd levelled when he converted from a Tommy Tejan-Sie cross, but the linesman's flag denied the forward on the stroke of half-time.

After the break, Thurrock stepped through the gears and bagged a second when Purcell got his second with a rasping effort.

With 12 minutes remaining, Tambeson Eyong killed the game off with a well-placed header.

Speaking afterwards, Nielsen said: "I felt the first half was extremely tight and scrappy, but we were unlucky to come in 1-0 down with Craig Davies' goal incorrectly disallowed for offside.

"In the second half we were punished by some clinical finishing. We looked a bit jaded and perhaps the two long away trips to Cray and Lowestoft last week took their toll.

"We now look forward to the visit of Margate on Tuesday and the chance to bounce back with a positive result and performance."