Wingate & Finchley were unable move away from relegation trouble on Saturday, losing 1-0 to Bognor Regis Town in controversial circumstances.

Hosts Bognor started the brighter of the two with Doug Tuck volleying their first opportunity wide.

Tommy Tejan-Sie responded for Wingate, volleying narrowly over from Ahmet Rifat's corner.

Both sides continued to trade chances, Bognor's Ollie Pearce seeing a shot deflected wide from the edge of the area before Ola Sogbanmu was denied by the Bognor goalkeeper.

Josh Kennett and Sogbanmu had further chances before the break but could not force an opener.

Wingate kept the pressure up after the break, Leon Fisher, Rifat and Kennet all repelled before the moment of controversy.

Fisher brought the ball under control and progressed into the penalty area before being clearly brought down by the Bognor goalkeeper.

No penalty was given, but two minutes later Wingate saw a spot-kick given against them for handball.

Sam Igoe converted from 12 yards before Rifat and Dan Thompson were both dismissed for handbags.

Speaking after, head coach Dan Nielsen said: "I hate to blame things on referees but it is difficult not to comment on a series of poor decisions including not giving one of the most blatent penalties I have ever seen for their keeper's foul on Fish.

"I felt we were excellent today and well worth three points so it is hard to understand how we ended up with none.

"If the boys can give that level of effort, hard work and belief as well as play with the confidence they showed today in our remaining games, then I'm confident we will get the points we need."

Wingate are at Lewes on Wednesday night.

On Monday Hendon were beaten 2-1 at home by Harrow Borough.

Louis Smith put Hendon ahead after 59 minutes, but the Greens were unable to hold onto their lead once again.

Victor Osobu equalised 16 minutes from time before Stephen Butterworth won it in the 90th minute.

The previous Saturday Hendon were unable to make the most of their chances and drew 0-0 with Canvey Island.