London Broncos head coach Joe Grima says his side are 'a long way' from recording their first Super League win of the season after losing 42-24 to Widnes Vikings at The Hive— their 18th loss of the season.

"I know I sound like a broken record but my message to the players was to play for 80 minutes and again we were unable to do that," Grima told the club's website.

"Combined with 12 or 13 errors, we're a long way off our first win after today's performance. Four mistake, four tries - it really hurt us.

"I don't think it's a question of fighting back too late, it's a question of playing for 80 minutes," added the Australian.

The Broncos were far from outclassed by the play-off chasing Vikings but were made to pay for a number of sloppy mistakes.

Josh Drinkwater kicked an early penalty for the hosts who were pegged back when Patrick Ah Van charged onto a clever Kevin Brown chip and touched down.

Hep Cahill and Danny Galea were then allowed to break the line and score within minutes of one another before the break to give Widnes a commanding lead.

Trailing by ten points at half-time, the Londoners then displayed their penchant for failing to take heed of warnings and thrice conceded tries from the right-hand side; Rhys Hanbury and Paddy Flynn (2) the beneficiaries.

London had hauled themselves back into the contest just before the break when Denny Solomona showed great awareness, pace and no little composure to race onto a Drinkwater chip and touch down in the corner.

The hosts failed to make the most of the score, though, and normal service resumed after the break as Denis Betts' side re-gained control of the game, first through Hanbury and then Flynn - twice.

With regular kicker Danny Tickle off the field, Ah Van stepped up to convert Flynn's second score following a scrum.

Grima's side refused to roll over and die, James Greenwood holding off a challenge to cross the line before Atelea Vea raced onto a kick to cross the line unopposed.

However Hanbury added his second try shortly after to further extend Widnes' lead, collecting what looked like a forward pass in the midfield and racing clear to score.

Captain Matt Cook had the final score of the game, bursting over the line following a good move but once again, the Broncos had been made to pay for their shortcomings at both ends of the field.