London Broncos claimed their first win of the Super League season at the 24th attempt with a shock 40-36 triumph over Challenge Cup finalists Leeds Rhinos.

The Broncos had failed to win any of their first 23 Super League matches this term, with their last league triumph coming 11 months ago, 34-22 at Hull KR, on the final day of the 2013 season.

Joe Grima’s side found themselves 22 points behind in the second half but fought back impressively to secure their first win with just two fixtures remaining and relegation to the Championship already long since confirmed.

Young half-back Joe Keyes ran in a hat-trick of tries, whilst Kieran Dixon marked his return from a long injury lay-off with a try as well.

Kallum Watkins touched down in the corner early on for the visitors, who extended their lead with tries from Josh Walters and Liam Sutcliffe soon after.

The Broncos responded with two scores of their own, through Jordan Atkins and Keyes, before Mitch Achurch and Zak Hardaker put Leeds back in control.

It was one-way traffic after the break too, with Sutcliffe extending the visitors’ advantage.

However tries from the fit-again Dixon and Mike McMeeken hauled the Broncos back into the contest.

Achurch scored his second try after running 50 metres but Scott Moore responded for Grima’s side, who refused to be beaten.

Two further tries from Keyes had the Broncos ahead in the match for the first time with just six minutes left on the clock.

Josh Drinkwater then converted a penalty to give the home side a slender four-point lead, before drama on the final play saw Leeds touch down, only to see the score chalked off by the officials – much to the Broncos’ relief.

London Broncos: Farrar; Dixon, Mataitonga, Solomona, Atkins; Drinkwater, Keyes; Slyney, Moore, Wallace, Vea, McMeeken, Cook.

Replacements: Krasniqi, Griffin, Dollapi, Thomas.

Leeds Rhinos: Hardaker; Briscoe, Watkins, Handley, Hall; Sutcliffe, White; Singleton, Aiton, Bailey, S. Ward, Achurch, Walters.

Replacements: Kirke, Clarkson, Minchella, Golding.

Referee: Tim Roby

Attendance: 1,268