Wingate & Finchley concluded their pre-season preparations ahead of the new Isthiman Premier Division season with a 3-2 victory at home against Royston Town on Saturday.

The club then subsequently confirmed a host of new signings immediately after the win, all of whom featured against The Crows.

Wingate Chairman Aron Sharpe announced the arrivals of ex-Wealdstone left back Nathan Mavila, 18-year-old defender Jake Eales and 21-year-old goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick.

There was plenty to smile about on the pitch too as Wingate warmed up for next season’s league opener at Merstham on Saturday with victory.

The deadlock was broken by the hosts after 20 minutes at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.

Reece Beckles-Richards continued his fine individual pre-season, rounding the visitors’ goalkeeper and finishing well for his sixth pre-season strike.

But the lead was snuffed out immediately. Royston’s response was immediate and they levelled things up just sixty seconds later thanks to a piece of individual brilliance from Adam Marriott, who showed little hesitation in launching an unstoppable drive past the reach of Blues ‘keeper Sheldrick to knot things up at one apiece.

New Wingate arrival Marc Charles-Smith, recently signed from Harrow Borough, would go close to restoring the hosts’ lead before the break with Joe Welch turning his effort past the post, but the half finished all square.

And it was Royston who struck again mid-way through the second period against the run of play.  A Town free-kick did not appear to threaten to breach Wingate’s defences though an audacious volley from Sam Ives certainly did, hitting the post and flying in for 2-1.

Wingate boss Keith Rowland then took the time to change his side in a bid to find a route back into the game, as is customary in these fixtures.

Those substitutions proved decisive though as goals from the bench snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for the hosts.

First Ben Pattie found the equaliser with just six minutes remaining and it was something special. Pattie darted past the Royston defence before planting an incredible lob over Welch.

And the winner would arrive just a minute later. Pattie and fellow substitute Spencer McCall were at the heart of it teeing up Afolabi Obafemi for the match-winning goal on 85 minutes.