Barnet were 3-1 winners at Peterborough United to upset the odds against their League 1 hosts and progress to the second round of the Carabao Cup last night.

The Bees attacked from the off and went ahead when stand-in striker Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro turned in ex-Posh defender Ricardo Santos' header across goal.

Gwion Edwards gave Peterborough an undeserved equaliser but Mauro Vilhete's penalty five minutes before half-time put them behind again.

And a first Bees goal for Shaquille Coulthirst made the victory safe after the break, to send Barnet through to the second round for the first time since 2015.

Rossi Eames made three changes to the side which drew at Forest Green Rovers on Saturday, bringing in Wesley Fonguck for the suspended Jack Taylor, and the two half-time changes from that game - Michael Nelson and David Tutonda - both introduced from the off.

The latter drove up the pitch to nearly mark his first start of the season with an early goal inside five minutes, but his effort clattered away to safety off the post.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce was pulling the strings in midfield as he had done on Saturday, but it was an unusual source - and one familiar to the home support - who turned provider for the Bees' opener.

Akpa Akpro was fed by Santos' header and turned in from a few yards out to put the visitors ahead.

The bearded Edwards levelled for the Posh on the half hour mark when he cut in from the left and his low shot found the corner of the net with Stephens caught out at the near post.

Barnet now needed to weather the storm with the home side for once looking the superior outfit.

The Barnet defence held firm with Tutonda excelling in his new position as a left-sided centre-back.

With six minutes of the half remaining Vilhete put the Bees ahead with a marvellously well-worked strike. The midfielder finished off an intricate passing move with a neat left-footed finish from close range.

Eager to force their way back into the tie The Posh opened the secon half in a positive mood with Stephens repeatedly being called upon, but the Bees continued to look dangerous on the break.

In the 58th minute Barnet extended their lead when Coulthirst’s penalty squirmed over the line after it had initially looked to have been kept out by keeper Jonathan Bond.

The spot kick had been awarded when Ryan Tafazolli had been harshly adjudged to have handled after Vilhete’s free-kick had struck the defensive wall.

The Bees would capitalise on this good fortune and with the home attacks looking increasingly desperate as the clock ticked down, Barnet could clearly see their route into the second round.

So solid was their performances all over the pitch Barnet had earned the occasional slice of luck, exemplified by the sterling displays by Stephens and Tutonda in particular.

Barnet: Stephens, H.Taylor, Santos, Nelson, Tutonda, Johnson, Fonguck, (Clough 88), Campbell-Ryce (Bover 55), Vilhete, Coulthirst (Amaluzor 68), Akpa-Akpro.

Not used: Ross, Shomotun, Mason-Clark, Shomotun, Akinola.