Hendon were denied second spot in the Isthmian Premier League by their inability to hold onto a two-goal lead at Folkestone Victoria on Saturday, falling 3-2 at their mid-table hosts despite Niko Muir's double.

After a dull opening period, his quick-fire double sprung the Greens into life with two goals in as many minutes.

But their cushion would last just as long, and Ade Yusuff cut the deficit from the penalty spot moments later, but after a hatful of chances came and went for Hendon, they were made to pay late on.

Josh Vincent levelled with a great volleyed strike from a cross which left Tom Lovelock helpless, and then turned the game on its head with four minutes to go, as Joe Taylor was left unmarked to head in a heartbreaking winner.

There were precious few chances at either end in the first half, with the referee's whistle among the most notable participants, although Taylor did test Lovelock from distance.

In the home of the Channel Tunnel, the visitors started the second period like a high-speed train, with Muir firing them in front within two minutes of the restart after Matt Ball's free-kick had been deflected into his path.

He then doubled the advantage, taking his own tally into double figures for the season as he gave the home defence the slip from Zak Joseph's pass.

But the lead wouldn't last. From a corner only a couple of minutes later, a shove from a Hendon defender sent Taylor flying, and Yufuss stepped up to send Lovelock the wrong way.

Muir could've had his second hat-trick of the still young campaign but just missed the post as he attempted to restore the two-goal lead, and Josh Walker thumped the ball against the post as he too took aim.

Lovelock made a fine double save at the other end as the balance of the game swayed between the teams, but with 20 minutes to go it swung firmly in the direction of Folkestone.

A cross from the left found Vincent, who walloped a first-time drive into the top corner after giving the Hendon defence the slip.

In the last four minutes, with both sides smelling victory, it was Folkestone who grabbed it when Taylor was found unmarked at the far post and planted a header beyong Lovelock.