Barnet remain three points above the League Two drop zone after claiming a 1-1 draw with bottom placed Hereford United.

In an even opening period Delroy Facey put the Bulls ahead only for Ben May to level the contest.

Both sides looked nervous in the second half but Hereford had the best chance to take all three points as Yoann Arquin saw his shot cleared off the line by Clovis Kamdjo in the dying minutes.

Lawrie Sanchez made no changes to the Barnet side that was defeated against Crawley Town but May did return to the bench.

The Bees began the game positively and created the first shot on goal as Kamdjo skipped past a defender and drilled his effort into the side netting.

However, Hereford started to control the game and went ahead after ten minutes.

Good work from Ben Purkiss allowed him space to cross and Facey managed to get in front of Sead Hajrovic to head home.

The goal rattled Barnet and Hereford looked likely to add to their lead.

Sanchez decided the make an early switch to try and regain a foothold in the contest. Sead Hajrovic was placed by May and Kamdjo moved into right-back.

The substitution helped the Bees as the physical presence of May unsettled the Bulls defence.

Seven minutes after his introduction, May levelled the contest. A chipped pass was brought down by Izale McLeod, he turned but his shot was blocked.

The rebound dropped to May and the tall front-man took his time before placing his half volley into the corner.

Barnet continued to grow in confidence and the Bees felt they had a good appeal for a penalty turned down as McLeod headed past the onrushing Adam Bartlett only to fall.

However, the referee and his linesman only pointed for a goal kick.

Sanchez’s men ended the half as the better side and Kamdjo came close with a header in first half stoppage time that went just wide.

The two teams went in level at the interval but both would’ve felt they could have gone in ahead.

The second period started evenly but Hereford still struggled to deal with May.

Understandably, both teams looked nervous in attack but Kamdjo did brilliantly to deny Arquin a shot on goal from six yards.

Barnet did come close to taking the lead as a free-kick was headed down by Kamdjo and Mark Hughes’ shot was just wide.

The Bees started to create the better chances and McLeod came close with a low shot across goal that drifted wide.

Barnet continued to attack and were denied a penalty as a Sam Deering cross hit and hand in the box.

Somehow, the referee didn’t spot the incident and play continued much to the dismay of the Bees players.

Sanchez’s men looked the more likely to break the stalemate and Deering curled a shot over the bar.

But the Bees nearly rued their missed opportunities as Arquin missed a good chance from eight yards after the ball had rebounded into his path.

Michael Hector tried his luck from 35 yards and saw his effort fly just over the crossbar before Mark Byrne drilled a shot into the arms of Bartlett.

For all their chances in the second half, it was Hereford who should’ve taken all three points.

The Bees found themselves outnumbered in defence and a clever pass released Arquin.

He smashed a shot at goal only to be denied by Brill but the rebound dropped to the striker. He again sent an effort goalwards only to see Kamdjo clear the ball off the line.

May fired wide in the final chance of the match and the game ended in a draw that does little to help either side.

The Bees will be back in action next Friday as they travel to Southend United.

Barnet: Brill; Hajrovic, Hector, Downing, Mustoe; Deering, Kamdjo, Hughes, Byrne; Holmes, McLeod.

Barnet substitutes: O’Brien, Saville, N’Diaye, Yiadom, May.

Hereford United: Bartlett; Purkiss, Townsend, Anthony, Chambers; Barkhuizen, Lunt, Evans, Featherstone, Clucas; Facey.

Hereford United substitutes: Elder, Colbeck, Arquin, Stam, Baxendale.

Attendance: 3,189 (673).