Injury-stricken Barnet stumbled to their fifth consecutive league defeat with a 3-1 loss at Wycombe Wanderers.

Once the hosts took the lead mid-way through the first half the Bees rarely looked able to make an impact on the game.

With a handful of senior players unavailable this defeat has pushed Barnet down to 18th in the table; Wycombe in contrast moving up into the play-off positions.

Ironically it was the visitors who opened the more positive when Shaq Coulthirst had an opportunity from a good delivery into the middle by Charlie Clough, who had got himself in an advanced position down the right flank.

Barnet, enjoying a brief period of superiority, could have taken the lead when a David Tutonda surge forward led to an Andre Blackman effort which keeper Scott Brown kept out with his feet.

Mauro Vilhete then forced a good save out of Brown and top scorer Coulthirst had two further attempts on goal before Wycombe took the lead in the 23rd minute.

In a breakaway move Nathan Tyson produced an enticing delivery from the left that found Adebayo Akinfenwa, who got the better of the Barnet defence and headed home from the far post.

Barnet almost levelled soon after when Blackman’s cross should have been converted by Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, whose headed effort was wide of the mark.

Barnet’s misfortune with injuries continued with Coulthirst being removed at half-time as a precaution against worsening a hamstring tweak.

With Barnet’s striking options diminished Wycombe extended their lead in the 65th minute with Akinfenwa again central.

The Barnet defence did not deal with a long downfield punt by keeper Brown and Akinfenwa astutely setting up Josh Umerah to pass the ball into the net.

Ten minutes later, any hopes the visitors may have had about staging a comeback were dealt a fatal blow when Ricardo Santos was outwitted near the corner flag.

Nick Freeman disposed the defender, advanced goalwards and from an angle blasted the ball up into the net with Craig Ross helpless.

Wycombe then looked capable of clocking up more goals at will and had the Bees pinned back in their own half.

Barnet, to their credit, did narrow the deficit in the 78th minute, but even at this stage Vilhete’s neatly executed volley had the look of a consolation goal.

But Wycombe were able to run out comfortable winners as the Bees only threatening occasionally.

Barnet: Ross, Clough, Nelson, Santos, Tutonda, Akpa Akpro, Vilhete, Fonguck (J.Taylor 55), Blackman, Campbell-Ryce (Mason-Clark 85), Coulthirst (Akinola 45). Subs not used: Bover, H.Taylor, McKenzie-Lyle, Mars.