For all their effort Barnet never looked like really troubling Swindon Town as the League Two leaders recorded a 2-0 win which leaves the Bees just three points above the drop zone.

Swindon eased to a first half lead thanks to goals from Ronan Murray and Oliver Risser. The Robins never looked in danger as they comfortably saw out the game despite an improved second half display from Barnet.

There was a surprise name in the Bees line-up as Andy Yiadom started his first game for the Bees while Paul Downing returned to defence in place of the injured Sead Hajrovic.

The opening ten minutes of the contest were competitive and there was a booking inside 30 seconds for Swindon as Jon Smith was yellow carded for a foul on Sam Deering.

The League Two leaders threatened to break the deadlock as a good cross from former Bee Joe Devera was headed over by Paul Benson.

Barnet survived that scare but a minute later they fell behind. A clever chipped pass freed Murray and he had plenty of time to casually slide his shot pass Dean Brill.

The game then settled with Swindon controlling the majority of possession and there was no urgency from either side to push forward.

There was a half chance for Andy Yiadom who came close with a shot that went over the bar.

But the Robins doubled their lead just after the half hour mark and Lawrie Sanchez will be disappointed with the nature of the goal.

A free-kick from the right hand side was whipped into the box and several Swindon of Paolo Di Canio’s men had found space. Several players could have turned the ball home but it was Risser who got the decisive touch past Brill.

Barnet created a couple of half chances as the opening 45 minutes drifted to a close. Izale McLeod sent shot from distance wide before he had the Bees best opportunity of the opening 45 minutes.

A good long pass from Michael Hector found McLeod, he controlled the ball well but his strike was well blocked by Wes Foderingham and Swindon went in at the break two goals ahead.

Barnet began the second period with the urgency which was lacking in the first. Ricky Holmes, on as a substitute in place of Mark Byrne, saw a shot saved before Jordan Mustoe drilled a 30 yard strike over.

While Sanchez’s side improved throughout the contest Swindon never looked in danger and nearly added to their lead as Luke Rooney curled a free-kick over.

Ben May hadn’t been as influential as in previous games but he came close with a good turn and shot that required Foderingham to save.

Soon after Holmes found space in the Swindon box and drilled a shot across goal which missed the post and was just too far ahead for Scott McGleish to make contact.

While Barnet continued and try to break down a strong Swindon defence they couldn’t find a way through and the final scoreline perhaps doesn’t reflect who comfortable the Robins were during the contest.

The Bees are back in action on Good Friday as they travel to Cheltenham Town.

Barnet: Brill; Hector, Downing, Saville, Mustoe; Yiadom, Hughes, Deering, Byrne; McLeod, May.

Barnet substitutes: O’Brien, N’Diaye, McGleish, Holmes,s Parkes.

Swindon Town: Foderingham; Devera, McCormack, Flint, McEveley; Rooney, Smith, Risser, De Vita; Benson, Murray.

Swindon Town substitutes: Smith, Thompson, Bostock, Ferry, Connell.

Tonight's attendance: 2,211 (806.