Barnet’s League Two future remains in their own hands as the Bees put in a fine performance to claim a 4-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon.

A strike from Ricky Holmes put Barnet ahead just after the half hour and three goals in the final ten minutes from Sam Deering, Ben May and Mark Hughes ensured the victory.

However, with Hereford United completing a surprise 3-0 win against Crawley Town, the battle to survive goes to the final day.

There were two changes to the Barnet side as Jack Saville and Scott McGleish began in place of Ben May and Paul Downing.

Both teams started the game brightly without really testing either goalkeeper.

The first shot on goal went the way of the Bees as Holmes drifted in off the right wing to force Jack Turner into action at his near post.

The Dons controlled the majority of possession in the opening 20 minutes but Barnet threatened on the counter-attack.

Deering smashed a shot well over from distance before Michael Hector curled an effort towards goal that Turner gathered at the second attempt.

Wimbledon rarely troubled Dean Brill in the opening period as the centre-back partnership between Jack Saville and Clovis Kamdjo dealt well with the visitor’s attacks.

After enjoying the majority of chances, the Bees finally made the breakthrough.

A strong run from Izale McLeod attracted several defenders and allowed the striker to lay the ball to Holmes.

He took a first time shot which hit Turner but only deflected into the bottom corner of the net.

The goal increased the Bees confidence and they moved the ball well for the rest of the half.

On the stroke of half-time Holmes came close with a cross which flashed across goal but Martin Allen’s men went in 1-0 up at the interval.

There was a change at the break for Barnet as Saville was replaced by Downing in the centre of defence.

The Bees began the second period well and Scott McGleish came close with an early header that required Turner to save.

Wimbledon had been restricted to shots from distance and Brendan Keirnan was the next to fire over the bar.

Terry Brown decided to make two changes in order to get his side back into the game. Former Barnet striker Jack Midson came on in place of Christian Jolley while Billy Knott replaced Ricky Wellard.

The Bees managed to get in behind the Dons’ defence on several occasions but were unable to find the key pass in the box.

Wimbledon’s substitutions had enabled them to get a foothold in the contest but still Brill went untested.

Hector put in an accomplished performance in midfield and he sent several shots towards goal from distance without forcing Turner into a save.

After being on the back foot for the majority of the second period, the Bees managed to increase their lead ten minutes before full-time.

A powerful run by Holmes allowed him space to cross, the ball struck a defender and dropped to Deering who took a touch and poked home.

The goal galvanised the Bees and they quickly extended their lead.

Holmes again with the assist as he skipped past a defender and fired the ball across the box for the waiting May to tap home.

Despite their lead Barnet continued to push forward and they grabbed a fourth goal in stoppage time as a Mark Byrne strike was saved, only for Mark Hughes to net the rebound.

It was a deserved victory for the Bees who know victory at Burton Albion next week will secure their League Two status.

Barnet: Brill; Kamdjo, Hector, Saville, Mustoe; Byrne, Deering, Hughes, Holmes; McLeod, McGleish.

Barnet substitutes: Yiadom, O’Brien, Downing, May, Gambin.

AFC Wimbledon: Turner, Hatton, Bush, Mitchel –King, Stuart, Wellard, Yussuff, Moncur, Kiernan . Jolley Harrison.

AFC Wimbledon substitutes: Brown, Midson, Moore, Jones, Knott.

Attendance: 4,422 (1,234).