Barnet defeated 2-0 by Cheltenham Town

First published in Ryman Premier Division Table & Results by

Barnet remain deep in relegation trouble after the Bees were beaten 2-0 by promotion chasing Cheltenham Town.

After a goalless first half the best opportunity for Barnet came on 63 minutes as Izale McLeod saw a powerful header well saved. It proved a costly miss for the Bees as Cheltenham finally made their pressure count. Goals from Kaid Mohamed and Jimmy Spencer secured the win for the Robins.

There were two changes to the Barnet starting XI as Ricky Holmes and Clovis Kamdjo both returned in place of Jack Saville and Andy Yiadom.

Despite a promising start from the Bees the hosts quickly established control and should have gone ahead as two good chances were wasted.

Steve Elliot saw a volley blocked by his own teammate from a corner before Ben Burgess fired over from just seven yards out.

The Bees first attempt on goal came from a Mark Byrne free-kick which forced Jack Butland into a good but routine stop.

Neither side looked settled defensively and the Robins felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Kamdjo tripped Russell Penn in the box. However, the referee surprisingly turned down the appeal.

Town continued to attack and only good work from Dean Brill kept the Bees ahead.

Sanchez’s men managed to keep the home side at bay and began to create chances of their own.

Kamdjo came closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half as he rattled the post with a header.

Holmes then saw a shot from distance well saved by Butland as Barnet began to apply pressure.

Barnet ended the half on top and a strike from Jordan Mustoe came close to opening the scoring. But despite chances at both ends the teams went in level at the interval.

The second half started in controversy as Cheltenham thought they had been awarded a penalty in the 48th minute.

Darryl Duffy chased a long pass and seemed to be brought down in the box by Michael Hector. The referee seemed to point to the spot and booked the Reading loanee.

However, the decision was a free-kick just outside the Barnet box and Town nearly went ahead as Steven MacLean fired inches wide.

The hosts continued to create opportunities and Keith Lowe and Duffy came close to breaking the deadlock.

Barnet struggled to threaten in the second period but should have opened the scoring just after the hour.

A floated cross from Mark Hughes found McLeod eight yards out. The Bees top scorer powered a header at goal but a good save from Butland denied the striker.

Cheltenham nearly made Barnet instantly pay for that miss but Brill once again denied Duffy from close range.

But 15 minutes before the break the home side did take the lead thanks to a goal from substitute Mohamed.

Following a Barnet corner the home side broke at speed and Mohamed and Jermaine McGlashan exchanged passes before the former fired home in style.

The Bees looked deflated after going behind and the game was over on 87 minutes as the Robins grabbed a second.

The simplicity of the goal will frustrate boss Lawrie Sanchez as a free-kick was knocked down and Spencer poked home.

Barnet created a couple of opportunities late on as Kamdjo and Downing shot wide but their efforts were in vain as the Robins claimed all three points.

The Bees return to Underhill on Monday as they take on Crawley Town.

Cheltenham Town: Butland; Lowe, Bennett, Elliot, Garbutt; Low, McLean, Penn, Summerfield; Duffy, Burgess.

Cheltenham Town substitutes: Smikle, Spencer, McGlashan, Mohamed, Hooman.

Barnet: Brill, Kamdjo, Hector, Downing, Mustoe; Byrne, Hughes, Deering, Holmes; May, McLeod.

Barnet substitutes: McGleish, Yiadom, O’Brien, Saville, N’Diaye.

Attendance: 3,319 (173).

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree