One fire is caused every week in Hertfordshire by electrical appliances.

A Hertfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service report revealed there were more than 100 white goods-related fires between 2015 and 2017.

The authority is urging people to register their appliances to ensure they receive information about faults and product recalls.

Appliances should be turned off when they are not in use, and checked for dust, fluff, or grease.

Householders should not use appliances they know to be damaged.

Cllr Terry Hone, cabinet member for community safety, said: “White goods are one of the biggest causes of house fires, but fewer than half of us register for important safety warnings and we know that recalled models are still in use as a result.

“We’re asking residents to register their appliances with this government-backed scheme and take a few simple steps to reduce the risk of fire.

“It might be convenient to put the dishwasher on overnight or to put a load in the tumble dryer when you go out, but if you’re asleep or not in you won’t spot the signs that something’s going wrong and you could end up dealing with a serious fire as a result.”

To check if a second-hand appliance has been recalled visit

To register white goods go to