A woman saved from a house fire was treated at hospital for smoke inhalation.

Crew from the London Fire Brigade rescued a woman from the ground floor of her home in Colin Crescent, Barnet, on Tuesday (March 5).

She was treated at the scene but later taken to hospital for breathing smoke.

Half of her ground floor terraced house was destroyed by the blaze.

Fire crews believe it started because paper came into contact with a gas hob. Her property did not have a smoke alarm fitted.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident shows just how important it is to have smoke alarms fitted.

“Smoke and heat alarms give the earliest possible warning and can give you precious time to get out. It’s important to have one fitted in any room of your home where a fire may start, except the kitchen and bathroom where you should fit a heat alarm.

“Smoke alarms save lives.”