A woman has been jailed for 15 years for stabbing her husband to death in a drunken argument.

Natasha Honey Welsh, 43, of Greyhound Hill, Hendon, was convicted of the murder of 47-year-old Martin Welsh at the Old Bailey on Monday (April 8).

She was sentenced at the same court yesterday (April 11).

The court heard how the defendant and her husband were heavy drinkers in a volatile relationship.

On October 26, 2018, the pair were at home drinking.

Their son was upstairs playing computer games. He sent a message to his friend saying, "It's kicking off, how I ignore it even with my music playing," at around 11.13pm.

Minutes later he heard his father say: "She's just stabbed me". At first, he thought this was a joke.

He went downstairs into the kitchen and saw his father lying on his back gasping for air and unable to breathe. There was a stab wound to his right shoulder and a knife on the floor.

Police and the London Ambulance Service were called at around 11:40pm to reports of a man stabbed.

The couple's daughter had gone to the scene. She found her mother sitting on the floor cross-legged beside her father.

On arrival, the defendant told police, "That was me. Sorry. If it was in the arm, that was me. Sorry."

Mr Welsh was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem at the Northwick Park Hospital Mortuary on October 28, 2018 found that Mr Welsh died of a single stab wound to the upper right chest.

Natasha Welsh was arrested and charged with murder on October 28, 2018.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, of the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "The defendant claimed to have no recollection of the events, but a jury has found that she was still responsible for her husband's death. Being drunk does not excuse violent and criminal behaviour."

"This couple had a volatile relationship that was exacerbated by alcohol use. I would urge any couple who are caught in such a downward spiral to seek help. I would also urge anyone who recognises their family or friends experiencing similar problems to contact police, or one of the many charities who can offer help and support."