A cigarette is believed to have caused a fire that resulted in major damage to a flat in Colindale.

London Fire Brigade had been called to the fire on Monday July 29 at 3.40am. The balcony area and one bedroom of the flat in Parklea Close was destroyed by the fire, whilst the rest of the flat sustained smoke damage.

A cigarette thought to be extinguished and left in a plant pot is believed to have started the fire.

It is thought this caused the peat in the pot to self heat and smoulder before catching light and spreading to items stored on the balcony.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "This incident shows why it's so important to make sure you put your cigarettes out properly when you've finished smoking.

"If you don't you risk causing a fire."

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Mill Hill, Hendon and Stanmore fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters brought the fire under control just before 5am.

There were no reports of any injuries.