Firefighters put out a house fire in Southgate at the weekend.

A total of 60 firefighters arrived on Crown Lane on Saturday (August 22) at around 9.47pm after receiving reports that part of a loft room in a semi-detached house was damaged by the fire.

One person left the house before the fire service arrived.

Firefighters said it was under control just after midnight and there were no reports of any injuries.

Eight fire engines attended the scene from Southgate, Barnet, Finchley, Tottenham, Hornsey and Hendon fire stations. Aerial ladders were used so firefighters could remove tiles from the roof so they could tackle the blaze.

The fire has been recorded as accidental and is believed to have been caused by overhead lighting.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "This incident is a timely reminder of the importance of having smoke alarms fitted throughout your home.

"The occupant was alerted to this fire by a smoke alarm sounding, so they left their bedroom and saw the smoke. They left the property and a neighbour called the Brigade.

"Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning of fire. As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.

"They should be tested regularly."