Firefighters have issued a warning after a fire at a garage with flats above.

The London Fire Brigade says a roof terrace was destroyed and park of a studio apartment was damaged in the fire in North Finchley.

It broke out at a property in High Road at around 5am on August 5.

The brigade says the fire was under control by 6.09am with four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Finchley, Barnet and Southgate fire stations attending.

There were no reports of any injuries.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved an e-bike.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It’s incredibly concerning we are continuing to see a rise in incidents involving e-bikes and e-scooters.

“When these batteries and chargers fail, they do so with ferocity and because the fires develop so rapidly the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.

“Lithium-ion batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used and there is a significant risk posed by e-bikes which have been converted."

They continued: "We are predominantly seeing fires in ones which have been purchased from online marketplaces and batteries which have been sourced on the internet, which may not meet the correct safety standards.

“Our advice is to try and store and charge these items in a safe location if possible, such as in a shed or garage, and if they have to be stored inside, make sure there is smoke detection fitted and your means of escape is not obstructed.

“However we know this won’t be possible for everyone, so if you are charging them indoors, please follow our advice on using safe charging and ensure everyone in your home knows what to do in the event of a fire.

“We would also suggest people try not to charge them when they are asleep, so that if there is an issue they can react quickly.”

Firefighters have been called to more than 130 fires involving the type of batteries used in e-bikes and e-scooters in London in little over a year.