A teenager who chased down and stabbed a man in a row over drug dealing has been found guilty of murder.

Christian Kuta-Dankwa, 19, of Rayners Lane, was convicted at the Old Bailey on Thursday (November 17).

He stabbed Mohamoud Mohamed Mahdi, 28, from Golders Green, in the back using the victim's own knife on February 18 this year after he questioned why he was “on his strip”.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, who led the investigation, said: “Kuta-Dankwa claimed he was acting in self-defence, but CCTV clearly showed that Mohamoud was leaving the scene before being chased and fatally stabbed.

“This tragic incident highlights the dangers of carrying knives. We know that those who carry these weapons are more likely to be victim to such violent attacks and that is why tackling violent crime of this kind continues to be the Met’s top priority.”

Times Series: Muhamoud Mohamed MahdiMuhamoud Mohamed Mahdi (Image: MPS)

Police said Kuta-Dankwa and his friends arrived in Watling Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware, at around 4pm on the evening of the attack.

CCTV footage showed that, soon afterwards, Mohamoud approached and briefly spoke to the defendant. He then left and ran down nearby streets before returning with a knife.

Following an altercation in which Mohamoud was disarmed and the knife fell on the road, the victim fled the scene.

Kuta-Dankwa picked up the weapon and chased down Mohamoud, tackling him to the ground before stabbing him three times in the back.

First aid was immediately administered by emergency services, including an off-duty police officer and doctor, but despite their efforts Mohamoud died at the scene.

The knife used in the stabbing was later found on the bed of a stream inside Watling Park.

Kuta-Dankwa admitted in court that his friend had been dealing cannabis just before Mohamoud approached them. This was likely the cause of the altercation.

The teenager handed himself into the police the following day, admitting to the stabbing but claiming to have acted in self-defence.

Kuta-Dankwa will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on December 2. A 17-year-old male was found not guilty of murder at the same trial.