A battery in a wireless speaker is believed to have sparked a blaze that damaged half of a flat.

London Fire Brigade was called to a flat fire in a loft conversion in Town Road, Edmonton,  yesterday (Sunday, October 22) at 1.54pm.

Around 30 people had already evacuated the building by the time crews arrrived.

The fire was under control by 2.59pm. Nobody was injured, but half of the studio flat was damaged.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a lithium battery in a wireless speaker.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.

“The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for.

"It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire.”

Fire crews from Enfield, Walthamstow, Chingford and Southgate fire stations attended the blaze.