A blaze that tore through a popular pub was accidental and caused by unattended cooking oil.

Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were scrambled to the Tally Ho pub in the High Road, North Finchley, on Thursday (February 8).

The London Fire Brigade was called at 11.05am, with one video shared online showing flames coming from the second floor of the building, while another video showed thick smoke clouding the street as people looked on.

It was under control by 12.22pm.

Part of the first floor, second floor and roof of the building was damaged.

One person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews. There were no reports of any other injuries.

Road closures were in place, buses diverted, and members of the public were asked to avoid the area.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by cooking left unattended.

Stonegate, the operator of the Tally Ho, previously told the Barnet Times that the fire started in the kitchen.

They said they will now look to see what additional work is needed so it can reopen as soon as possible.

An LFB spokesperson said: "Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in a property.

"Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill - if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.

"Chip pans and cooking with hot oil can be really dangerous and the risk increases when you start frying food more than once. All it can take is for you to become distracted for a few seconds and your cooking oil can quickly go up in flames.

"This incident is a timely reminder to make sure you never leave cooking unattended. If you do have to leave the room, turn the heat off."