Fire crews are reminding smokers to put out their cigarettes following a blaze in a high rise block of flats.  

Five fire engines and around 30 crew were scrambled to Albert Road, in South Tottenham, at 8.12pm on Thursday (April 18).

Part of a fourth-floor flat in a 17-storey residential block was damaged by flames, including the balcony.

A 32-metre turntable ladder from Tottenham Fire Station was used to extinguish the flames by 9.05pm.

London Fire Brigade's 999 control officers received more than 10 calls.

Times Series: A lit cigarette caused a blaze in a 17-storey block in Albert Road, TottenhamA lit cigarette caused a blaze in a 17-storey block in Albert Road, Tottenham (Image: LFB)

There were no reports of any injuries. 

The blaze is believed to have been caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials - a cigarette.

An LFB spokesperson added: "If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out, preferably in an ashtray.

"Always ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire as you don’t know what it may land on which could potentially start a fire.

"Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.

"The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for. It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire."

Firefighters from Tottenham, Stoke Newington and Holloway fire stations all attended.