A man had to be treated by paramedics after the “catastrophic failure” of an e-bike battery sparked a blaze in a flat.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to Canalside Square, Islington at 10.24pm yesterday evening (May 16).

Part of a ground-floor flat was damaged and a man was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service.

According to London Fire Brigade (LFB), the blaze was accidental and caused by the “catastrophic failure” of an e-bike battery.

The brigade said the incident was over for firefighters by 11.15pm.

A LFB spokesperson described e-bikes and e-scooters as London’s “fastest-growing fire risk”.

They said: "It is vital that you do not store or charge the device on an escape route such as a hallway.

“We have seen incidents where people have had to jump from windows or be rescued by firefighters because their escape route has been blocked by fire or smoke.

“If it is not possible to keep the device outside or in a shed or garage, make sure it is in a room where you can shut the door and contain a fire.”

They added that e-bike owners should always use the correct charger, always unplug the e-bike once it has finished charging and never leave an e-bike charging unattended or while sleeping.

Anyone wishing to convert a pushbike into an e-bike has been urged to get a professional to carry out the conversion.

Crews from Shoreditch, Euston and Soho fire stations all attended the scene.