A cycle repair shop was left a charred shell after an e-bike battery caught fire.

Cycle Stop in West Green Road, near South Tottenham, was burned out in the blaze on Sunday (July 7) at 6.56pm.

While several people escaped the building before firefighters arrived, most of the shop, which has a flat above, was damaged.

Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to the scene after eight calls were made, and the blaze was under control by 8.12pm.

The London Fire Brigade believes it was caused by a lithium battery pack on an e-bike failing. The fire then spread to other e-bike battery packs in the shop.

One image shows the inside of the shop charred and blackened, with debris and parts of bikes visible in the window.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure and can present a serious fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged.

"Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells."