A “CHAIN-WIELDING lunatic” accused of murder over a Wealdstone killing only went to the area to buy “high grade” cannabis, a court heard.

Dexter Dias QC, defending, told jurors his client Andrew Spence was not part of a plan to murder Hassan Kul Hawadleh, 19, on the forecourt of the Total garage, in High Street, in February.

Instead he claimed Mr Spence, 22, of Ealing, travelled to the area to buy drugs and got caught up in the violence once there.

Mr Spence admits to violent disorder for beating Wasarme Guiled with a chain in William Hill, in High Street, an hour before the killing.

He is shown on CCTV attacking Abdiwahab Guiled, Wasarme's cousin, while yards away another man plunged a knife into the chest of Mr Hawadleh.

Mr Dias told jurors: “This case has painted such a dark and troubling picture of our world and of our city and of our times.

“It's been frightening hasn't it? The indiscriminate violence, and how cheap life has become in London today.”

He added: “There's a danger of being blinded by the horror of what happened, to lose sight of what actually counts in your verdict – the evidence, the facts and the truth.”

Mr Spence is accused of being part of a planned attack, which would make him as responsible as the killer by law.

But Mr Dias said Mr Spence did not know a member of his four-strong group was carrying a knife when they charged onto the forecourt, and was angry when he found out about the stabbing.

He told jurors the trial was not a beauty contest, acknowledging his client became a “chain-wielding lunatic” at the bookmakers and again on the forecourt.

He said: “People let bricks and fists and chains do the talking, rather than communicate. At this point I must make special mention of Andrew Spence, or rather Andrew Spence and his chain.

“What on earth was he thinking of? Why did he so stupidly get involved? We know now this was not his feud and not his beef.”

The attacks came at the end of a week of conflict which started on Monday, February 16 when co-defendant Onochie Madekwe, 33, of Kingsbury, called Wasarme Guiled a “crackhead”.

The insult sparked a punch up which was followed by an arranged fight in a nearby car park between Mr Guiled and one of Madekwe's group.

Mr Guiled won, leaving his rivals with a vendetta, the prosecution claims.

Mr Dias said Mr Spence was not present on the Monday and was already on his way to Harrow when the group decided to attack Wasarme Guiled three days later, and so could not have been part of a plan.

Mr Madekwe, Mr Spence and Michael Anthony Boyde, 37, of Willesden, deny murder.

They also deny attempted murder and grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent for the attack on Abdiwahab Guiled.

Mr Madekwe denies violent disorder in relation to the attack on Wasarme Guiled in William Hill.

The trial continues.