TRIBUTES were paid yesterday to the five Barnet residents killed in the blast on July 7, 2005, in a Piccadilly Line train between Kings Cross and Russell Square.

The bomb, carried by Jermaine Lindsay, detonated on the first carriage of a “packed” train carrying an estimated 1,000 passengers, was the dealiest attack, killing 26.

Yesterday relatives paid tribute in person and in statements to those who died at the inquests into the 52 deaths on that day at the Royal Courts of Justice.

A statement from Bernard and Rosemary Mayes, the parents of Whetstone man James Mayes, said: “James lives on in our determination not to give in to the evil that viciously removed him from us”.

The 26-year-old was on his way to work for the Healthcare Commission when the bomb detonated at 8.49am.

The statement described him as someone keen on politics and debate and moral dilemas, who as a small boy loved travelling on the Tube.

It read: "One of the greatest and most tragic ironies of the manner of his death was that he believed passionately in human rights and freedom of expression and belief.

"From a very small boy, James had a strong sense of right and wrong and expected people, and especially us, to do what we said we were going to do.”

After attending City of London School he attended Warwick University, before eventually landing the job at the Healthcare Commission.

The statement added: "The abiding memories of James for his colleagues, his friends and his family, though, are of James the man.

“Sometimes other-worldly and deeply impractical, enthusiastic, sometimes gloomy but interested in many things, charming and often very funny - in all, a man of many gifts who would have a special place in the memories of many people for as long as they live.”

Two awards have been set up in his memory, one sponsored by the Care Quality Commission, formerly the Healthcare Commission, and the other by his parents and the Open University for the best student in the Islam in the West course.

Saba Mozakka, whose mother Behnaz was killed in the blast, said the loss of the Iran-born mother-of-two had “shattered our family”.

She told the hearing the loss of the biomedical scientist at Great Ormond Street Hospital, who had previously worked with Save the Children, had left her with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Ms Mozakka added: “My mum was very devoted to us, her family. Born to a large family, she always used her family as her security and the foundation of her well-being.

“She said nothing gave her more pride than us, her two children. Throughout her family life, nothing was more important than her family.

“She never thought twice about making sacrifices for her family, and for her love and support we will be forever indebted. My mother was incredibly self-confident, always at the centre of any family gathering, whether it was a party or a political meeting.

“She always brought everyone together and, somehow, you could always hear the sound of her laughter or see her warm smile across the room.”

The 47-year-old Finchley resident had a garden created for her at the hospital after her death, with colleagues leaving messages with their memories of her throughout it.

Gamze Gunoral, a 24-year-old Turkish student living with her uncle and aunt in Totteridge, was on his way to a language college in Hammersmith when he was caught up in the blast.

A statement from her uncle, Tawfiq Ghayas, told of her intellectual and sporting achievements as a youngster, eventually graduating from Marmara University in Istanbul and getting work as an actuary.

He added: “The desire to succeed brought her to England and she knew that learning English would be the key to a successful career in finance.

“She wanted to be head and shoulders above her competitors and, therefore, decided to take a year's break from work and enrolled at a language school in Hammersmith, to study English full-time.

“In order to ensure that she could improve her oral communication skills, she also took up a part-time job with one of the fashion chains in London.”

Devout Catholic Rachelle Chung For Yuen came to London from Mauitius in 2000 to take her accountancy exams, a dream for her since she was at school.

She landed a prized job with Mees Pierson Intertrust and met her future husband Billy, who she married in 2004 at Wood Green Registry Office.

The pair moved to a flat in Mill Hill but, in a statement from Mr Chung For Yuen, he said his wife “never failed to ring home” and cherished her “family values”.

He said: “Rachelle was taught from a young age that family values were extremely important and she always cherished her family above anything else.

“When she was in London, she would never fail to call home to check if everything was fine. She would buy presents for everybody, particularly at Christmas time, and would never forget a birthday.

“Rachelle was a practising Roman Catholic and went to church every Sunday. She did not smoke and only occasionally drank alcohol.”

Statements given to police after the explosion by the family of Romanian dental technician Mihaela Otto, 46, were also read to the court.

The Mill Hill resident initially moved to London in 1981 with her sister and worked at the Burberry Store in central London and later for a publishing house, before opting to change career and study dentistry at UCLA college in Los Angeles.

Despite graduating top of her class she opted not to continue her studies and returned to London in 2004, settling in Mill Hill and getting a job in Lab 53 in Sloane Square.

Her sister described her as “quiet and unassuming, the most kind and generous human being you could ever meet”.