Barnet’s last FA Cup match at Underhill ended in defeat as Oxford United claimed a 2-0 win to knock the Bees out of the competition in the first round.

After a goalless opening period James Constable headed home ten minutes into the second half to put Oxford ahead. The striker then turned provider as he teed up Sean Rigg to fire into the bottom corner and secure victory.

Mark Robson and Edgar Davids made five changes to the Barnet side which claimed a win at Chesterfield the previous weekend.

The switches perhaps explained the Bees sluggish start to the contest. Oxford moved the ball well and nearly went ahead as Andy Whing’s cross evaded everyone and struck Sam Cowler’s back post.

Barnet offered little going forward in the opening period. Dutch international Collins John struggled on his return from injury and couldn’t make the most of an Andy Yiadom through ball.

The U’s looked much more threatening than the hosts and Alfie Potter fired wide from close range after good work from James Constable. He should have scored.

A couple of long shots from Andy Yiadom and Oliver Lee failed to trouble Ryan Clarke, who didn’t have to make a real save in the first half.

Constable caused constant problems to the Barnet backline and he came close with a half-volley which flew past Cowler’s post.

As the half drew to a close, Sean Rigg received the ball in the Bees’ box, turned and unleashed a fine strike. Cowler was beaten but the ball rattled the crossbar and bounced clear of danger.

The second period followed the same pattern as the first and, 11 minutes after the restart, Oxford deservedly went ahead.

Peter Leven whipped a corner in towards the near post and Constable powered his header past Cowler.

The striker then came close to doubling his and Oxford's tally after he collected a pass, turned well but his shot from distance just went over the crossbar.

The introduction of Jamal Lowe in place of John caused the visitors defence to drop back, leaving space for the Bees midfielders.

Edgar Davids and Iffy Allen, making his Bees debut, were also brought on as Barnet looked for a way back into the tie.

However, the U’s added a second to effectively end the contest. A long pass forward was brilliantly controlled by Constable. He slid the ball into the path of Rigg who took a touch and smashed into the bottom corner.

Despite the Bees best efforts they never really threatened throughout the contest and the visitors were well worth their victory.

Barnet return to League Two action on Tuesday as they entertain Torquay United.

Barnet: Cowler; Fuller, Stephens, Fortune, Brown; Byrne, Lee (Davids 72), Kamdjo, Yiadom; Weston (Allen 72), John (Lowe 59).

Barnet substitutes: O’Brien, Davids, Edgar, Allen, Lowe, Abdulla, Saville.

Oxford United: Clarke; Whing, Raynes, Wright, Capaldi; Potter, Chapman, Leven, Rigg, Constable, Pittman (Cox 62).

Oxford United substitutes: Brown, Heslop, Cox, Worley, O’Brien, Marsh, Roberts.

Attendance: 2,346 (835).