Barnet just can’t pull away from the League Two relegation zone. Whenever the Bees win, so does a team below them.

Edgar Davids’ side latest victory came at home against Southend United. 2-0 the final score. Barnet are now four league matches unbeaten yet remain just one point above the drop zone.

Goals from Jake Hyde, his tenth of the campaign, and Dani Lopez settled what was a fairly even contest between teams with different aims this season. T

he Bees head coach made two changes to his Barnet side with Mauro Vilhete and Clovis Kamdjo replacing Curtis Weston and Andy Yiadom. Both dropped to the bench.

Barnet began the contest poorly and were close to going behind inside the opening two minutes.

Watford loanee Britt Assombalonga found space in the box, cut onto his right foot but his shot cleared the crossbar. It was an early let off for the Bees.

Davids’ men relied on counter-attacks in the early stages and Vilhete forced Paul Smith into a good stop before Lopez’s shot from distance was easily saved.

Assombalonga was the Shrimpers main threat in the first half and he again worked space well before shooting narrowly wide of the post.

Southend pressed high up the pitch and Barnet struggled to play out from the back. The Bees almost gifted the visitors a lead as Clovis Kamdjo was closed down on the edge of his box.

Barry Corr won the ball and advanced to the edge of the area but his tame shot was easily dealt with by Graham Stack.

Lopez continued to threaten for Barnet and he volleyed wide before his trickery won the Bees a free-kick. It proved a crucial moment.

Mark Byrne’s cross to the back post evaded the Southend defence and Hyde rose well to head the Bees into a 33rd minute lead. The goal was important for the Bees as they gained confidence from going ahead. Byrne fired a shot from distance over and in the dying moments of the half Hyde saw a strike deflected just wide.

From the resulting corner, the Barnet top scorer almost grabbed his second but his near post header was pushed over the bar.

The Bees began the second period lethargically and Hyde almost headed a corner into his own net. Fortunately for the striker the ball struck the post and bounced clear of danger.

Davids’ side again took a while to settle but Byrne came close to adding a second. He battled his way through two challenges but his near post shot lacked the power to beat Smith.

The Bees struggled to keep possession in the second half and they came under increasing pressure from the visitors.

Southend were convinced David Stephens handled a cross in the area but the referee waved away their appeals.

Barnet didn’t create many clear chances to add to their lead in the second period. Vilhete’s close range effort was saved and Lopez smashed another strike well over the bar.

Ryan Cresswell almost bundled a corner home for Southend and the Shrimpers looked likely to find the equaliser as pressured the Barnet defence.

With seven minutes remaining, the second goal arrived. Barnet scored it. A cross deep into the box found Davids. His effort was saved by Smith but Lopez smashed the ball home.

Davids almost scored a third for the Bees late on. A surging run into the box allowed him room to shoot but Smith saved well.

At full time the Barnet side received a standing ovation from the Bees supporters.

Seven points from their last three league matches is impressive form. Given the way the relegation battle is shaping up, the Bees will have to continue in the same fashion.

Barnet take on fellow relegation candidates Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.

Barnet: Stack: Fuller, Stephens, N’Gala, Johnson; Kamdjo, Davids, Byrne; Vilhete (Yiadom 73), Lopez; Hyde.

Barnet substitutes: Gambin, Yiadom, N’Toko, Cowler, Weston, Allen, Brown.

Southend United: Smith; Clohessy, Cresswell, Prosser, Straker; Hurst, Lund, Spillane (Leonard 64), Reeves (Mayor 82); Assombalonga (Eastwood 77), Corr.

Southend United: Eastwood, Harris, Mayor, Bentley, Leonard, Spicer, Woodyard.

Attendance: 2,211 (778).