August 23 2005.

It’s a date that may not mean much to most but for Barnet fans it was the last time their side won away from home on a Tuesday night.

Their latest failed attempt to break that record was at Oxford United. 1-0 the final score. And that unwanted stat remains.

The U’s goal arrived in second half injury time. A Michael Raynes header from close range. It was harsh on Barnet who battled well, particularly in the second half.

Edgar Davids had kept faith with the same starting XI which were victorious against Morecambe three days earlier.

Barnet took time to settle into the contest and Alfie Potter and Raynes both missed half chances for the home side.

Oxford pressed the Bees high up the pitch and the visitors found it difficult to build attacks from the back.

The U’s should have gone ahead when neat passing around the box freed Sean Rigg. His effort was saved but the rebound fell to Damien Batt.

He could only shoot wide from the edge of the area. Barnet’s best chance of the half fell to Dani Lopez.

The ball dropped to Luke Gambin at the back post and he smashed a low cross along the goalmouth. Unfortunately for the Bees Lopez failed to make contact.

James Constable wasted Oxford’s best opportunity to break the deadlock in the opening period. A corner was pushed to the striker by Bees goalkeeper Graham Stack, but he smashed his volley well over from five yards.

The Bees had barely threatened in the first half and only good work from Stack and wasteful finishing from Oxford meant Barnet went into the break level. The second period began in the same fashion as the first ended.

Oxford again created a good chance only for Potter to fire over. Barnet created a good opportunity to open the scoring through Mark Byrne.

Gambin tricked his way past a defender and cut the ball back into the penalty area. Byrne timed his run well but his shot was well stopped by Luke McCormick.

Oxford were not as dominant as they had been in the first half and Barnet began to build attacks. Ross Jenkins was almost played in by Davids.

The ball was cleared to Mauro Vilhete. He smashed a shot towards goal but it only hit the side netting.

Oxford had struggled to keep the ball for the majority of the second period and Stack was largely untroubled.

Barnet did manage to put the ball in the net late on. Lopez received a corner and his overhead kick struck Yiadom.

The substitute turned and fired into the roof of the net. The goal was ruled out. Yiadom adjudged to have used his hand to control the ball.

It seemed as if the game would end as a stalemate but in injury time the hosts scored a winner. A deep free-kick into the penalty area as turned back across the goalmouth and Raynes headed in from close range.

It was too late for the Bees to react. They had played well during the second period but were ultimately left frustrated.

Tuesday night. Away from Underhill. Barnet fans continue to suffer.

Barnet remain on the road as they travel to fellow strugglers Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Barnet: Stack; Fuller, Stephens, N'Gala, Johnson; Jenkins, Davids, Byrne; Vilhete (Yiadom 80), Gambin; Lopez (Hyde 90).

Barnet substitutes: Brown, Kamdjo, Yiadom, Hyde, Barnes, N'Toko, Vose.

Oxford United: McCormick, Batt, Raynes, Wright, O'Brien (Davis 74), Parker (Smalley 65), Davies, Whing, Rigg, Potter, Constable.

Oxford United substitutes: Crocombe, Craddock, Davis, Worley, Smalley, Heslop, Duberry. Attendance: 5,027 (165).