The Barnet fans chanted at full time: “We are Barnet and we’ll never go down.”

It is a statement that could backfire on those Bees supporters come the end of the season but a 1-0 victory over relegation rivals AFC Wimbledon has given their side a good chance of avoiding the drop. Again

Keanu Marsh-Brown scored the winner in the 85th minute on his debut. A low shot across the goal that goalkeeper John Sullivan couldn’t keep out.

The Dons controlled the game. They had created the better chances throughout. But you don’t always get what you deserve in football.

Edgar Davids made one change to his side. It was enforced. The suspended Barry Fuller replaced by Andy Yiadom.

The Dons attacked from the kick off and had a penalty appeal turned down inside the first minute as the ball appeared to strike the arm of Mark Byrne.

Barnet struggled to get out of their half in the opening minutes and a free kick into Bees penalty area was almost deflected in.

Davids’ side did eventually settle into the contest and began to keep the ball. However, they didn’t penetrate the Wimbledon defence and Dons goalkeeper Sullivan remained untested.

Chances were sporadic in the first half for both teams. Jack Midson had a shot from distance easily saved by Graham Stack and Jon Nurse shot over for Barnet.

Wimbledon pushed forward late in the half and Kevin Sainte-Luce fired over before Chris Hussey’s low shot was stopped by Stack.

Neither side made a change at the interval but Wimbledon controlled the tempo after the restart.

The Dons created a good opportunity as Sainte-Luce nipped past Elliot Johnson and advanced into the penalty area. The winger clipped the ball over Stack but the Bees cleared the danger.

Sainte-Luce continued to cause the Bees defence problems and he almost scored the opener.

A mix up between Tom Flanagan and Stack allowed the winger a shot on goal but the Barnet goalkeeper recovered and blocked the effort.

The Bees defended well under increased pressure from the Dons and Midson smashed wide of the post. He should have hit the target.

Nurse suffered a head injury midway through the second period and was replaced by new signing Marsh-Brown.

The former Fulham youngster added some much needed pace to the Bees attack.

Wimbledon applied further pressure on the Barnet goal but Stack remained largely untested.

Barnet had been on the back foot for the majority of the contest but, on 85 minutes, the Bees went ahead against the run of play.

A long pass forward seemed innocuous. But Marsh-Brown applied pressure to Hussey and won the ball.

He broke through on goal and shot low. The strike struck a covering Wimbledon defender and diverted the ball past Sullivan. The Bees were ahead.

Wimbledon committed men forward in search of an equaliser. Several corners were won but were wasted.

The Dons did have one chance to level. A free kick into the penalty area was met by Gary Alexander six yards out. It seemed destined to find the net but Stack produced a brilliantly save to deny the hosts.

Five minutes were added. Wimbledon continued to attack. Barnet continued to battle and defend.

In the 96th minute the referee blew for full time. The Bees had won. It could be a vital three points in their relegation battle.

Barnet return to Underhill next Saturday as they welcome Chesterfield.

AFC Wimbledon: Sullivan; Hussey, Antwi, Bennett, Mitchel-King; Sainte-Luce (Strutton 81), Pell, Meades, Darko (Alexander 72); Long (Moore 74), Midson.

AFC Wimbledon substitutes: Youga, Balkestien, Jaimez-Ruiz, Moore, Strutton, Alexander, Yussuff.

Barnet: Stack; Yiadom, Stephens, Flanagan, Johnson; Davids, Oster (Jenkins 88), Weston, Byrne, Nurse (Marsh-Brown 67); Hyde.

Barnet substitutes: Kamdjo, Kuipers, Gambin, Crawford, Beattie, Jenkins, Marsh-Brown.

Attendance: 4,696 (716).