Barnet could not have ended their 106-year stay at Underhill in a more dramatic fashion.

The Bees deservedly led 1-0 against Wycombe Wanderers thanks to a Jake Hyde goal. In the 92nd minute though, the Chairboys were awarded a penalty.

A sold-out Underhill fell silent. Joel Grant took the spot kick but his effort was saved by Graham Stack.

Barnet saw out the final minutes and a jubilant crowd celebrated.

The Bees have tended over the years to make things hard for themselves. The match was most certainly a fitting way to leave their home. The result could prove vital in their battle against relegation from the Football League. 

Edgar Davids made two changes to the Barnet starting XI which were beaten at Torquay United. 

Hyde and Kyle de Silva started. They replaced John Oster and Harry Crawford who dropped to the bench.

For the last time, Barnet kicked down the famous Underhill slope in the opening 45 minutes. It was a half they dominated.

The Bees pushed forward from kick off and Hyde fired a half volley inches wide of the post after just two minutes.

Barnet continued to create the chances. Keanu Marsh-Brown forced Matt Ingram into a low save and the Chairboys’ goalkeeper then denied David Stephens’ header from the resulting corner.

Hyde caused the Wycombe defence several problems throughout the first half and he came closest to breaking the deadlock. 

A low corner to the near post from Davids was flicked towards goal by Hyde. Ingram pushed the effort onto the post and the ball bounced back into his arms on the goal line.

Curtis Weston was next to test the Wycombe goalkeeper. The midfielder sent a well struck low shot towards the corner but Ingram parried the effort onto the post.

From the resulting corner Tom Flanagan could only direct his header wide.

Barnet were applauded off the pitch at the break. They hadn’t managed to make their pressure count though. The game was still goalless.

The second period began in the same fashion as the first ended. Davids almost put his side ahead. The Dutch international skipped past several challenges but shot wide.

Wycombe had attacked sporadically throughout the contest. Stack hadn’t been tested and Gary Doherty fired well over the crossbar.

Chances continued to be missed for the Bees. Marsh-Brown sent a free-kick over the cross bar and Weston had a shot easily saved.

Luke Gambin replaced de Silva just after the hour mark. It proved pivotal substitution.

The young winger proved a constant threat and he had a cross pushed clear by Ingram.

It seemed as if Barnet wouldn’t find the goal their performance deserved. But, in the 81st minute, they went ahead.

Gambin received the ball on the left and sent a low cross into the penalty area.

Hyde’s movement got him in front of the Wycombe defender and he turned the ball home.

The home fans inside Underhill went ecstatic. Barnet were out of the League Two relegation zone. But time still remained.

Wycombe started the push forward but the minutes ticked down and they still hadn’t tested Stack.

Four minutes were added at the end of the half.

In the second of those, Wycombe won a penalty after Flanagan felled Bruno Andrade in the area. Grant decided to take the spot kick.

Underhill went quiet. Grant sent his effort towards Stack’s right hand corner but the Bees goalkeeper produced a fine save to tip the ball wide.

The home fans inside Underhill went ecstatic, again. Barnet defended the resulting corner and held out. An inevitable pitch invasion followed.  

The victory could prove to be a vital three points for the Bees. They are out of the relegation zone and safety will be assured with a win at Northampton Town next week.

Barnet: Stack; Yiadom, Flanagan, Stephens, Johnson; Byrne, Weston, Davids (Oster 85); De Silva (Gambin 61), Marsh-Brown (Crawford 79); Hyde.

Barnet substitutes: Kamdjo, Vose, Crawford, Kuipers, Gambin, Oster, Nurse.

Wycombe Wanderers; Ingram; Harriman, Dunne, Johnson, Doherty, Spring, Lewis, Scowen, Wood (Andrade 76), Grant, Kuffor (Morias 76).

Wycombe Wanderers substitutes: Ainsworth, Andrade, McCoy, Morgan, Harrison, Morias, Hause.

Attendace: 6,001 (857)