Martin Allen has taken charge of Barnet for a fourth time after being appointed the Bees’ head coach until the end of the 2014/2015 season.

Allen’s last spell with the club came in 2012 when he was named manager for the final three games of the season.

He kept the Bees in League Two with a dramatic final day win against Burton Albion before departing that summer.

Allen says he is excited to be returning to Barnet and hopes to help the Bees secure promotion from the Skrill Premier.

“I’m really looking forward to the challenge of helping Barnet return to the Football League,” Allen told the club website.

“It will be great to get back onto the training pitch and work with the players ahead of Saturday’s game because I have some fantastic memories of Barnet and when I’ve returned to the club I’ve always got a good reception.”

He added: “I only got the call this morning [Wednesday] so I haven’t had too much time to think about the game but it is nice to have the opportunity.

"I spoke to the chairman earlier today but we have always had a very good relationship and we have always kept in touch.

“When Gillingham were promoted he was one of the first people to call and congratulate me and likewise when Barnet were relegated I was the first on the phone to him. It will be great to work with him again at The Hive which is such a fantastic facility.”

The move comes after Barnet suffered their fourth consecutive Skrill Premier defeat against Macclesfield Town on Tuesday evening.

The Bees, who were also beaten 1-0 by Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday, have slipped out of the play-off places and are currently ninth in the table. However, they remain just one point outside of the top five.

Barnet have stated Ulrich Landvreugd and Dick Schreuder, who had taken charge since Edgar Davids’ departure, will remain at the club but couldn’t clarify what positions they will hold following Allen’s return.

Allen’s on-and-off relationship with the Bees began in March 2002 when he joined the club as assistant manager.

He then took charge of Barnet in March 2003 and claimed 20 wins in 47 matches.

He left a year later for Brentford and guided the west London club to two play-off finishes before resigning.

After his two-year spell with Brentford, he had short stays with Milton Keynes Dons, Leicester City and Cheltenham Town before returning to the Bees in March 2011.

His reign lasted just three matches as he controversially departed for Notts County. The Bees did go on to avoid relegation with Giuliano Grazioli in charge.

Allen was sacked by the Magpies in February 2012 and again returned to Underhill for another three-game spell in April 2012.

His last managerial role was at Gillingham. He joined the club in the summer of 2012 and helped the Gills win the League Two title - their first championship for 49 years.

His reign lasted just 16 months though, as he was sacked in October whilst working as a TV pundit during Barnet’s match against Cambridge United.

Allen’s first game back in charge of the Bees will be this Saturday’s home match against Hereford United.