It was a family affair at The Hive as brothers John and Sam Akinde stole the show by grabbing four of Barnet’s six goals in a comfortable 6-1 win over Hungerford Town.

The Southern League side proved child’s play for John, who rattled in a 22-minute hat-trick to underline Barnet’s superiority over their visitors.

Stefan Brown got one back for the Crusaders before Sam Togwell lobbed in a fourth from the halfway line just before the break.

Matt Stevens fired home a bicycle kick in an altogether less slick second period before Sam Akinde slipped in a sixth at the death.

With only three days’ training behind the players, it was always going to be case of getting minutes into legs after a summer of inactivity and two different XIs were named, with former Under-18s captain Harry Taylor also a substitute.

Player-coach Graham Stack led from the dugout, with head coach Martin Allen, assistant Adrian Whitbread and development coach Ross Eames in the director’s box to oversee proceedings.

Akinde wasted little time in knocking in his obligatory penalty, stroking home after 14 minutes following minimal contact inside the penalty area.

Five minutes later the powerful number nine, who was captain in the first half, ghosted in to nod home his second after the impressive Fumnaya Shomotun flicked new-boy Gavin Hoyte’s cross into his path.

And after just 21 minutes last season’s Conference Golden Boot winner had wrapped up his hat-trick, chesting down and ramming home with ease.

Hungerford pulled one back a few minutes later, Brown capitalising on indecision in the Bees’ backline to round youth team stopper Kyle McKenzie-Lyle and slot into the empty net.

Barnet retaliated immediately with Luke Gambin thrashing against the crossbar, just a matter of minutes after Mauro Vilhete had himself curled against the underside of the woodwork.

Togwell got in on the act five minutes before the break, showing great vision to lob Hungerford stopper Paul Strudley from the halfway line – his first goal of any kind since joining last summer.

The Bees made 11 changes at the break, introducing new signings Bira Dembele, Tom Champion and Ben Tomlinson. Sam Akinde and goalkeeper Chris Haigh also featured after training with the team this week.

Commanding centre-back Dembele had the first chance of the second period, nodding Champion’s corner kick comfortably over after finding himself unmarked.

After 73 minutes Stevens added a superb fifth, sending a bicycle kick over substitute Hungerford stopper Craig Hill.

And the 57-goal youth team hot-shot almost snatched a second with the next attack, instead diverting Elliott Johnson’s left-wing cross against the back post from close range.

Former Welling United, Dover Athletic and Ebbsfleet United hitman Akinde rounded off the scoring in the 90th minute, latching onto a through ball before slotting home with ease at the near post.

The Bees now have a week before facing a considerably sterner test in Premier League Crystal Palace.

Barnet first half: McKenzie-Lyle; Hoyte, N’Gala, Roache, Muggleton; Vilhete, Togwell, Shomotun, Gambin; Gash, J.Akinde.

Second half: Haigh (T); Yiadom, Dembele, Gater, Johnson; Nwogu (H.Taylor 70), Weston, Champion, Tomlinson; S.Akinde (T), Stevens.

*(T) denotes a player training with Barnet.

Referee: David Rock.

Attendance: 331.