Barnet gave Premier League outfit Crystal Palace a scare but ultimately came up short to lose their second pre-season friendly 5-3 at The Hive. 

The Bees competed admirably with Alan Pardew’s side but the gap between the two was evident on more than one occasion as Palace carved through the backline like a hot knife through butter.

John Akinde gave Barnet the lead after 72 seconds but Palace levelled almost immediately as Dwight Gayle got the first of three with a free-kick.

The pacy Gayle then put the south Londoners in front with a stunning individual goal from distance. He completed his treble early in the second-half with a well-taken goal shortly before being withdrawn.

Barnet got one back shortly after the hour, though, substitute Luke Gambin netting from close-range within minutes of his arrival.

However, Reise Allassani re-established Palace’s two-goal lead with 13 minutes remaining before Kevin Lisbie lofted a deft header home four minutes after. Fraizer Campbell finally completed the scoring soon after to make it 5-3.

Bees boss Martin Allen named a strong side which saw Graham Stack make his first appearance of pre-season. Curtis Weston played off of lone forward John Akinde whilst Michael Nelson, who has been training with the Bees, began alongside captain Bondz N’Gala at centre-back.

It was a breathless start in which Barnet took and surrendered the lead within the opening three minutes.

With their first attack, timed at 72 seconds, the Bees went in front. Andy Yiadom found himself in space to cross down the right and his inviting ball to the back post was gobbled up by Akinde.

But Palace showed their Premier League class and drew level less than two minutes later via the lively Gayle. A foul by N’Gala saw the visitors awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area and the former Peterborough United forward dragged low beyond Stack.

And the turnaround was complete by the 12th minute, Gayle bending a stunning effort beyond the helpless Stack from 30 yards when there had appeared to be no danger to the Bees’ goal.

Times Series: Dwight Gayle celebrates Crystal Palace's second goal. Picture: Action ImagesDwight Gayle celebrates Crystal Palace's second goal. Picture: Action Images

But Allen’s side did not allow their heads to drop and although the tempo eased, the Bees continued to ask questions of their more illustrious visitors.

Ben Tomlinson shot straight at Speroni from 20 yards after finding himself in space whilst Sam Togwell – fresh from his goalscoring exploits a week ago – flicked a header over from Akinde’s first-time cross.

Gayle might have completed a first-half hat-trick when he headed a corner towards the near post but Yiadom was on-hand to block shortly before half time.

And it took the £8 million forward just six second-half minutes to complete his hat-trick, racing through after breaking the line to plant beyond Stack without breaking stride.

Half-time sub Paddy McCarthy almost further extended the Eagles’ lead when he headed against the crossbar from a corner following a superb block by Hoyte to deny Frazier Campbell a shooting opportunity.

And after making ten changes of their own, the Bees halved Palace’s lead in the 63rd minute. Lisbie, making his Barnet bow, found enough space to draw a good stop from Chris Kettings but skipper Gambin slammed home from close range.

Gambin ought to have added a second just a handful of minutes later when Michael Gash laid off to the wideman on the edge of the area but his first-time effort with the outside of his left foot nestled in the top of the South Terrace rather than the net.

Times Series: Barnet's Joe Gater battles with Palace's Fraizer Campbell. Picture: Action ImagesBarnet's Joe Gater battles with Palace's Fraizer Campbell. Picture: Action Images

Palace reaffirmed their superiority with little over ten minutes remaining as Allassani darted through and slotted beyond Stack to restore the Eagles’ two-goal advantage.

And the goals kept on coming with Barnet refusing to roll over for the top-flight Eagles. Lisbie pulled back a third for the Bees when he connected with Fumnaya Shomotun’s right-wing cross to flick over the stranded Kettings.

Once again, though, Palace swiftly hit back as former England international Campbell slotted past Stack from a central position to make it 5-3 to Palace.

The Bees head to National League South side St Albans City on Tuesday.

Barnet: Stack; Hoyte, Nelson, N'Gala (c), Johnson; Yiadom, Togwell, Champion, Tomlinson; Weston; Akinde.

From 60 minutes: Stack; H.Taylor, Gater, Dembele, Muggleton; Shomotun, Fonguck, Roache, Gambin (c); Lisbie, Gash.

Crystal Palace: Speroni (Kettings HT); Ward (Croll 62), Hangeland (Dann HT), Delaney (McCarthy HT), Kelly (Binnom-Williams HT); Gray (Allassani 66) Boateng (Anderson 66), Puncheon (Dymond HT (Scales 72)), Kaikai; Gayle (Breimyr 62), Murray (Campbell HT).

Referee: Mick Russell.

Attendance: 2,044.