Assistant boss Darren Currie was pleased with Barnet's progression to the second round of the FA Trophy, but feels they could have done more to see the game out.

The Bees eventually made it through to round two of the competition, where they will face Dorchester Town at home, after a five-goal thriller that saw them beat Bath City 3-2 on Saturday. But Currie felt the game should have been more comfortable for his side, who were 3-0 up within 24 minutes.

He told the club website: “We had enough chances to win a lot more comfortable than we did.

“We’ve just got to be a bit more ruthless but to score three goals was a real plus.”

The first of those came within a minute when Wes Fonguck curled home from the edge of the box and they did not have to wait long for a second, after a searching ball from deep found Ephron Mason-Clark, who crossed from the right for Manny Duku to finish.

Barnet made it three on 24 minutes when Dan Sparkes burst through the Bath defence before picking out Mason-Clark, who scored his first professional goal from close range.

Mason-Clark nearly helped himself to a second moments later, but was denied by an Anthony Straker challenge.

There was still time for Bath to pull a goal back before the break, with their first clear attempt on goal. Michee Efete finished from the edge of the box to set up a lively second half.

Currie felt that Barnet's second-half performance was not as good as their first and that Bath came out on top in the second period.

He said: “That’s cup football isn’t it. They were prepared to have a right go in the second half. I thought we played some really good football in the first half, but not so good in the second.”

Wet and windy conditions made things more difficult on the pitch and when Adam Mann poked home from close range following good build-up play just after the hour mark, an entertaining final half-an-hour was set up.

The Bees tried to put more daylight between themselves and the Romans, with substitute Charlee Adams forcing a good save from Clarke before fellow replacement Shaq Coulthirst headed head home an Elliott Johnson cross, only to be flagged offside.

At the other end, Mohammad Baghdadi’s effort threatened to draw the teams level, but his shot curled wide of the left-hand post and Bath were left to rue their missed opportunities as the Bees held on to claim their spot against the Magpies in the second round. That tie is due to be played on Saturday, January 12.

Barnet: Cousins, Johnson, Reynolds, Robson, Sparkes (Elito 83), J. Taylor, Fonguck (Adams 73), Tutonda, Sweeney, Mason-Clark, Duku (Coulthirst 73). Subs not used: Matrevics, Bettamer.