It’s not good enough and changes will be made. That was the blunt assessment from Darren Currie after watching his Barnet side fire more blanks as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at home to Chesterfield last night.

Although the defeat was a first in five games in all competitions for the Bees, it was their third successive match without scoring and leaves them nervously two points above the National League drop zone, albeit with at least four games in hand on all the sides around them.

Goals from Charlie Carter and substitute Alex Kiwomya were enough to take the Spireites above their opponents in the table and Currie told the club website: “[It was] not good enough, simple as that. We were passing with no purpose really. We kept the ball but there was no purpose, no penetration. Our final third play, instead of improving is actually getting worse.”

Asked what he had said to his players afterwards, Currie responded: “I just told them it’s not good enough. Changes have to be made, it’s as simple as that because they’re a shadow of the players that were performing at a high level three or four weeks ago.

“I can’t let it continue because it will affect me, it’s affecting the club, it’s affecting our position, the fans will be cheesed off as I expect, I can’t let it continue.”

The Bees boss is particularly worried about his side’s attacking shortcomings and said: “It’s a massive concern and you can see in our play it’s a concern because we get in areas where you can put a ball in the box, but we choose not to and turn away from it. How many times do we shoot into legs, into bodies, we don’t look a threat from set pieces.

“I have to make changes, I have to, I have to be seen to be trying to do something because I still want to be the one that takes this club forward and at the minute I’m not.”

Following the disappointment of Saturday’s FA Trophy defeat which saw AFC Fylde win 4-1 on penalties following a goalless draw, Barnet were playing catch up after 15 minutes when Carter headed home the rebound after Tom Denton hit the bar from close range.

Simeon Akinola was to have the home side’s best chances of an equaliser before the break with a couple of shots, while also heading over an Elliott Johnson cross.

After Chesterfield had enjoyed a couple of opportunities after half-time, Barnet were close to levelling when Dan Sweeney saw his header tipped over from a cross by substitute Ephron Mason-Clark.

But Barnet’s fate was to be confirmed with 10 minutes remaining when Kiwomya rounded Mark Cousins before slotting home.