Barnet produced an impressive comeback against Premier League Crystal Palace, recovering from an early 2-0 deficit to claim an unexpected 6-2 friendly victory.

It looked like being a potentially long Tuesday night for the Bees when they found themselves two behind inside nine minutes, but boss Darren Currie was understandably delighted by the response of his side.

He told the club website: “We just grew in confidence as the game went on and all I asked was what I kept asking is that they trust each other and work hard with or without the ball.

“The icing on the cake for the night was that a lot of our goals were very good goals. Everyone stepped up in a good performance today.

“It’s positive when for me what we’re working on in training is playing out in games.”

Barnet had taken an unbeaten pre-season record into the game, but that was in jeopardy after just three minutes when David Boateng fired Palace in front.

That lead was doubled six minutes later when Connor Wickham beat Scott Loach.

Jack Barham had the Bees’ first opportunity to get back into the game and he went closer still, but could only divert a header straight at Stephen Henderson in the Eagles goal.

But the home side did pull one back five minutes before the break after Ephron Mason-Clark had been brought down in the box and the referee didn't hesitate in pointing to the penalty spot, with Mo Bettamer converting.

Within a minute Barnet were level when Bettamer drove in a low cross and Barham converted to send the sides in level at half-time.

Boosted by their finish to the first half, the home side started strongly when play resumed and completed the turnaround just two minutes into the second period through a David Tutonda shot from a difficult angle.

Tutonda scored his second goal on the hour when Antonis Vasiliou got in behind the Palace defence and passed for his teammate to convert.

There was no let-up from the home side and nine minutes later Simeon Akinola netted his side’s fifth goal following a pass from substitute Loic Hernandez pass.

Palace had a chance to pull one goal with six minutes remaining, but Loach made sure he was not beaten for a third time.

A fine night for the hosts was rounded-off in the last minute when a trialist netted their sixth.