Barnet failed to continue the scoring success that saw them thrash Premier League side Crystal Palace 6-2 last week, instead falling to a 3-1 defeat at home to League One outfit Peterborough United.

Simeon Akinola put the Bees ahead before Ivan Toney’s strike levelled proceedings before the break, and goals from Siriki Dembele and Serhat Tasdemir after the interval handed the Posh the win.

The hosts made five changes to the side that beat Palace, including the introductions of Andre Boucaud and Callum Reynolds in place of Charlee Adams and Dan Sweeney.

Peterborough had the first chance of the game when a low cross from the right came all the way through to Toney, but he failed to control his effort on the slide and diverted it wide.

Barnet were then dealt a blow on 18 minutes when Ephron Mason-Clarke was forced off after failing to shake off a knock and he was replaced by Medy Elito.

This didn’t knock the side’s confidence though, and after Jack Taylor went close with an effort from distance, the pressure told when Akinola charged down a clearance from Posh keeper Christy Pym and stroked home from close range.

Shortly after, the hosts should have had a second after Harry Taylor pulled back to brother Jack, but his effort was blocked.

Toney had a great chance to level proceedings for the visitors, but was denied by Scott Loach, however there was nothing Loach could do shortly after when the striker curled in a free-kick to make it 1-1.

Peterborough almost took the lead on the brink of half time, but Mark Beevers’ header from a corner crashed back off the crossbar, and Barnet survived until the half-time whistle.

Darren Currie made three changes at the break, with Adams, Dan Sparkes and a trialist coming on in place of Harry Taylor, Elliot Johnson and Cheye Alexander.

The changes did little to help Barnet regain their lead though, and Peterborough completed the turnaround just past the hour mark when Dembele looped a shot over Loach after breaching the offside trap.

The visitors then made it three in quick succession when former AFC Fylde man Tasdemir unleashed an effort from distance that went in off the post.

Clear chances were at a premium for Barnet, and the closest either side game to adding another goal after Tasdemir’s strike was when new Peterborough signing Mo Eisa blasted over after being played through.

Barnet now prepare for their next match, which sees an Arsenal XI visit The Hive on Wednesday night.